31 Dec 20

Penns Wood, St Andrew's Church Grounds, Church Ope Cove, Penn's Weare, The Cuttings, Bumpers Lane, Broadcroft Quarry Lane, Broadcroft Butterfly Reserve, Higher Horse Paddock and Lower Horse Paddock.

I hadn't intended in walking the length of Penn's Weare, but with huge numbers of Gannets, auks and gulls feeding along Portland's east coast, I decided to follow them from Church Ope Cove up to Balaclava Bay.

And what a muddy walk it was, which dare I say, I wasn't properly dressed for, well certainly in the footwear department. However the walk was good and Ted certainly enjoyed a slightly longer time off the lead.

The seawatch was excellent and on the return journey with a muddy dog and my shoes a mess, I decided to return home via Bumpers Lane and the very wet Lower Horse paddock. I'm glad I did as the field was full of birds, with a 2 Herring Gull, Wood Pigeon, 15 Meadow Pipit, 3 Pied Wagtail, 2 Robin, 2 Stonechat, 2 Blackbird, 2 Redwing, 3 Song Thrush, Magpie, 1 Raven, 4 Starling and House Sparrow. I don't think I missed anything off the list.

Also noted today despite the temperature not rising much above 5C were 4 White-tailed Bumblebees.

Anyway here are a few images and videos of my extended walk.

In the bay, behind the WW2 Pill Box were hundreds of Gannets, auks and gulls fishing.

Seven Razorbills make their way up Portland's east coast

Two Razorbills waiting for the fish to arrive.

There were definitely more Razorbills than Guillemots here. At least I managed to photograph one Guillemot with a Razorbill on the left.

One of the many Gannets flying up the coast.

Most were heading into Weymouth Bay

One of many Gannets heading up into Weymouth Bay. Apologies for the video going in and out of focus.

Another striking black & white bird was this Magpie perched on one of the many boulders and rocks along Penn's Weare

At Church Ope Cove and despite the many visitors there, were 10 Rock Pipits, 2 Pied Wagtails and a few Wrens, like this one searching for food around the beach huts.

On my return trip home I decided to walk through the Lower Horse Paddock.

I'm glad I did as I came across this male Stonechat and its mate.

It's been awhile since I have seen Stonechats in the horse paddock, but there again its been awhile since I visited the field.

Here is the female Stonechat with a Meadow Pipit for company.

This Raven dropped into the field, much to the annoyance of the local Magpies.

And despite the real nip in the air, I was amazed to find 3 White-tailed Bumblebees on the Mahonia at the top of Penns Wood. A fourth White-tailed Bumblebee was spotted on Penn's Weare.

I think Ted enjoyed this walk in the sun.

Well he was certainly full of bounce as we headed back up the old Weymouth to Easton railway track.

And finally we get too many frosts on Portland, but we did last night. This was around 2:00pm by The Cuttings.

Mammals Recorded: Grey Squirrel

Birds Recorded: Cormorant, Shag, Herring Gull, Great Black-backed Gull, Common Gull, Razorbill, Guillemot, Stock Dove, Wood Pigeon, 15 Meadow Pipit, 10 Rock Pipit, Pied Wagtail, Dunnock, Robin, 2 Stonechat, Blackbird, 2 Redwing, 3 Song Thrush, Long-tailed Tit, Great Tit, Blue Tit, Wren, Magpie, Carrion Crow, Jackdaw, 1 Raven, Starling, House Sparrow, Chaffinch and Goldfinch

Bees Recorded: 4 White-tailed Bumblebee (Bombus lucorum)

Ships Today

This is the Liberian Tanker "Frederica" about to refuel one of the passenger ships in Weymouth Bay. More on this vessel Here.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
On this day
2019
Today's Sightings Here

2018
Today's Sightings Here.

2017
Today' Sightings Here.