31 Dec 17

Pennsylvania Castle wood and Church Ope Cove.

Well that's the way to see the year out. Great views of the Yellow-browed Warbler and a deafening clap of thunder above me as I was on the beach.

The weather looked okay when I left, in fact there was a slight hint that perhaps the sun might break through. And then I realised I was on Portland, where nothing is normal!!!

The wood was my first stop and talk about being in the right place at the right at the right time, as a flock of Long-tailed Tits came through and with them the Yellow-browed Warbler. The light was really fading but I managed to get some great views of it with the binoculars and a couple of record shots of it before it disappeared down the slope with the Long-tailed Tits towards Church Ope Cove. In amongst them were 2 Firecrests and at least 5 Goldcrests.

I managed to get down to the cove but though I could hear them I couldn't see them. I thought I'd have a quick look on the beach and was amazed to find just the Grey Wagtail and a lone Wren. The Rock Pipits, Pied Wagtails and "Rock" Robin all absent. I shouldn't have been surprised as within 5 minutes of being on the beach I could hear a distant rumble of thunder and then the black clouds appeared over Penns Wood. A few seconds later the heavens opened up and Ted I just made it to our Ivy Bush for shelter.

And then the flash, its been awhile since I've been out in the open during a thunderstorm. Now I know why I stay indoors.

Just a couple of photos from a brief but exciting walk.

A record shot of the Yellow-browed Warbler which if it is the same long-staying bird, has been on Portland since at least 5 Dec 17. Could be a good tick for the New Year, if it can be located. The last time it was seen before today was 23 Dec 17, so not the easiest of birds to track down. Good luck if try. Useful tips on searching for it: There are two Long-tailed Tit flocks and this one it was tagging along with had at least 12 birds in it. There are also a lot of crests with 5 Goldcrests and 2 Firecrests within the party.
The route has expanded now since I first found it on 5 Dec and now they can be found in the woods by Church Ope Car park, they then move across Pennsylvania Road to the trees by the Museum and then drop down into Pennsylvania Castle wood. From here it appears they then drop down below St Andrew's Church ruins and then head south under Cove Holiday Park. From this point they move along the ridge and up the steps to Rufus Castle and now back up to the Museum. It is quite a certain which seems to be covering a greater area in search for food.

Route of the Long-tailed Tits and potentially the Yellow-browed Warbler  (Map Courtesy of Google Earth)

Very quiet on the beach with just this Grey Wagtail and a lone Wren.

The black clouds move in and then............

This is one reason why I don't like to be out in the open during a thunderstorm which is above you.......