11 Dec 17

Penn's Weare and Church Ope Cove

Well I wasn't expecting that. As I made my way down to Church Ope Cove a Wheatear flew over my head and over the old Church Ope railway track and down into Penn's Weare. It was the briefest of views of a dark "brown" bird with its distinctive white rump. As it was getting fairly dark I made the decision to check out the cove first for the Black Redstart, that alluded me yesterday, and then to head north along the path on Penn's Weare in search of this mystery Wheatear.

Well the first part of the plan was a success and I found the Black Redstart as soon as I stepped onto the beach. A few record shots and then it was up onto the coast path in search of the Wheatear. I spent a good 50 minutes looking for it, but with the light fading rapidly it was almost impossible to see anything.

Note: Its been suggested by various birders that a Wheatear this late in the year could well be a Desert Wheatear. Hopefully it will still be around tomorrow morning.

It wasn't a complete waste of time though, as I came across 3 Firecrests all feeding together in one of the rocky ravines and on my way back I came across another one on the steps half-way up to Rufus Castle from the cove.

Here are few photos from this evening:

As I arrived the Black Redstart was busy flying from one rock to another.

First on this one........

.......and then this one.....

....and another.

And it wasn't just the Black Redstart rock hopping but also 15 Rock Pipits.

They are finding plenty of small black flies on the beach and are in hurry to leave.


Black Redstart

One of several Great Black-backed Gulls seen heading north along the coastline this evening.

Penn's Weare where I searched for a good 50 minutes or so for the Wheatear. Sadly no joy but 3 Firecrests in one of the ravines was an interesting find.

Birds recorded: 3 Gannet, 8 Shag, 4 CormorantBlack-headed Gull, Herring GullGreat Black-backed GullWood Pigeon, 15 Rock Pipit, 2 Pied WagtailDunnockRobin, 1 Black Redstart, 1 WheatearBlackbird, 2 Redwing, 1 Song Thrush, 3 Goldcrest, 4 FirecrestLong-tailed TitGreat TitBlue TitWrenMagpieCarrion CrowHouse SparrowChaffinch and  Goldfinch.