8 Jun 21

Old Quarry Lane, Easton Railway Cuttings and The Windmills

A message came through on Social Media that an adult Rose-coloured Starling was in one of the horse paddocks close to the windmills. So it was a quick dash out the door and a very fast walk to the paddocks. I was there in less than 5 minutes, but I could I find it, nope.

There were three or four flocks of Starlings in 3 separate fields, but no sign of the Rosy Starling. And then as I was heading home I bumped into Martin Cade (Portland Bird Observatory Warden) who pointed it out to me.

And sure enough there it was on top of a Bramble Bush, in one of the paddocks I had walked past moments earlier.

Other highlights were a Common Buzzard caught up in netting on a Small Holding. I say netting it was more like an enclosure with the netting at least 3 metres high and a good 10 metres long. By the sounds of it there were chickens and ducks very close to it. After a few minutes and lots of flapping it finally freed itself.

Also noted was Hummingbird Hawkmoth heading towards the Easton Railway Cuttings and I came across my first Bee Orchid of the year along the Old Quarry Lane.

Here are a few images and videos from today:

Wow somebody isn't happy and the youngster in the middle is looking a bit concerned.

And here are a few more piggy back Starlings, but not the Rose-coloured Starling I was looking for. The arrow is pointing to the bush I passed earlier where it was sat. Not sure how I missed it.

But here it is and................


...............here it goes. Fortunately not.........

..............that far, but annoyingly the sun was behind it this time.

Now I'm not sure what caught my eye, but in the netting in the background was this..........

.........Buzzard.

I'm glad to say it managed to free itself. However it does beg the question as to why it was in there!!

My first Bee Orchid of the year, just flowering.

Ted might not look it but he was pleased to get of the house this evening. It was a pretty warm day.

Birds Recorded: Herring Gull, Wood Pigeon, Collared Dove, Swallow, Pied Wagtail, Dunnock, Blackbird, Common Whitethroat, Great Tit, Wren, Magpie, Carrion Crow, Jackdaw, Starling, 1 Rosy Starling, House Sparrow, Chaffinch, Linnet and Goldfinch, Greenfinch

Butterflies Recorded: Large White

Moths Recorded: Hummingbird Hawkmoth

Bees Recorded: Honey Bees (Apis mellifera)

Ships Today

This is the Liberian LPG Tanker "Gaschem Baltic" on its way from Houston (Texas) to Portland Harbour. More on this vessel Here.

This is the British Cargo Ship "Celtic Voyager" on its way from Poole to Aveiro (Portugal). More on this vessel Here.

This is the British Ro-Ro Cargo Ship "Hartland Point" just off Portland. More on this vessel Here.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
On this day
2020
Today's Sightings Here

2019
Today's Sightings Here.

2018
Today' Sightings Here.

2017
Today's Sightings Here