5 Jun 21

Wakeham

Today was spent digging a hole in the back garden to fit an old bath I acquired for a second and much larger pond. In between the digging I had a few breaks where I did a few mini bug hunts to see what the warm weather had enticed into the garden.

And I was to be disappointed with two good highlights, both of which were new hoverflies for my Portland List. They were a Waisted Duckfly (Anasimyia contracta) and a Small Spotty-eyed Dronefly (Eristalinus sepulchralis). It appears that both can be found by water, which is exactly where I found them next to the pond.

And I came across a new moth as well. A Lychnis (Hadena bicruris), which flew out from some slabs I was moving.

Here are a few images and a video from today:

As I was moving some stone slabs I came across this Lychnis (Hadena bicruris). A new moth for me on Portland.

I think this is a slightly faded Chocolate Mining Bee (Andrena scotica)

I'm not sure why I have been calling this an Orange-tip Mining Bee as its proper name is Orange-tailed Mining Bee (Andrena haemorrhoa). It also goes by the name of Early Mining Bee.

Settled on one of the Buddleias was this.........

Parasitic Wasp, Ichneumon stramentor

This is a Narcissus Bulb Fly (Merodon equestris) and a very busy hoverfly which would not keep still.

And a hoverfly I haven't come across before.....

..........a Waisted Duckfly (Anasimyia contracta). Apparently this hoverfly likes to be near water.

This a Small Spotty-eyed Dronefly (Eristalinus sepulchralis) and another new hoverfly for my Portland List. More on this hoverfly Here.

And here is a Dark Bush-cricket nymph (Pholidoptera griseoaptera)

And the ground where the new pond will eventually be. Looks like Ted is inspecting it for me.

Birds Recorded in and around the garden: Herring Gull, Wood Pigeon, Collared Dove, House Martin, Swallow, Dunnock, Blackbird, Common Whitethroat, Great Tit, Blue Tit, Magpie, Carrion Crow, House Sparrow, Chaffinch and Goldfinch

Amphibians Recorded: 2 Frogs and 1 Palmate Newt

Butterflies Recorded: 2 Large White and a Speckled Wood

Moths RecordedLychnis (Hadena bicruris)

Bees Recorded: Honey Bee (Apis mellifera), Buff-tailed Bumblebee (Bombus terrestris), Bronze Furrow Bee (Halictus tumulorum), Orange-tailed Mining Bee (Andrena haemorrhoa) and Chocolate Mining Bee (Andrena scotica)

Parasitic Wasps Recorded: Ichneumon stramentor

Hoverflies Recorded: Waisted Duckfly (Anasimyia contracta) and Small Spotty-eyed Dronefly (Eristalinus sepulchralis)

Crickets and Grasshoppers Recorded: Dark Bush-cricket nymph (Pholidoptera griseoaptera)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
On this day
2020
Today's Sightings Here

2019
Today's Sightings Here.

2018
Today' Sightings Here.

2017
Today's Sightings Here