10 Jun 21

Wakeham

Today was probably the busiest time I have spent in the garden for quite awhile, with three important tasks I had set myself. The first was to dismantle the duck house. The second was to transfer 8 pumpkin plants to where the duck house once stood and the third was to place the "bath" pond where the pumpkins use to grow.

I'm pleased to say I accomplished all three tasks and all that is left to do is create a wildlife patch around the new pond. A job for tomorrow.

Needless to say there wasn't a walk today and the only things of note were a Yellow Slug (Limacus flavus), the first I have come across on Portland, a Small Fan-footed Wave moth and watching a juvenile Goldfinch on the feeders.

Here are a few images and a video from today:

It was good to see that the local Goldfinches were at least successful.............................

................... in raising one youngster. Here it is tucking into the niger seeds.

Unfortunately as I walked up and down the garden with the remnants of the Duck House I accidentally bumped into the niger feeder, which didn't go unnoticed by this Wood Pigeon.

If I have ID'd this moth correctly it is a Small Fan-footed Wave (Idaea biselata)

This is a Yellow Slug (Limacus flavus) which wasn't to happy about me getting rid of the Duck House.

And whilst I was digging away, I came across this clay pipe with the word "Dublin" inscribed into it.

Birds Recorded from in and around the garden: Herring Gull, Wood Pigeon, Collared Dove, Swift, Swallow, Dunnock, Blackbird, Great Tit, Blue Tit, Magpie, Carrion Crow, Jackdaw, House Sparrow, Chaffinch and Goldfinch

Butterflies Recorded: Large White

Moths RecordedSmall Fan-footed Wave (Idaea biselata)

Bees Recorded: Honey Bees (Apis mellifera) and Red-tailed Bumblebee (Bombus lapidarius)

Slugs and Snails Recorded: 10+ Garden Snail (Cornu aspersa) and a Yellow Slug (Limacus flavus).

Spiders Recorded: Garden Spider (Araneus diadematus) and Copper Sun-jumper (Heliophanus cupreus)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
On this day
2020
Today's Sightings Here

2019
Today's Sightings Here.

2018
Today' Sightings Here.

2017
Today's Sightings Here