8 Jun 18

Rufus Castle, The Cuttings and Bumpers Lane

Tonight between 10:00pm and 11:00pm I went searching for Glow Worms. Sadly I didn't find a single one, even though a few larvae had been found in the past few days. Another evening perhaps.

I did come across plenty of moths including a White Plume Moth (Pterophorus pentadactyla). The moths weren't the only creatures out as I came across 2 bats at The Cuttings. I couldn't say what they were, but one was Pipistrelle size and the other slightly bigger.

A White Plume Moth.

Portland Obs Quarry

This morning a Subalpine Warbler was ringed and released in the Obs Quarry. Picture on Twitter Here and after a 2 hour delay I finally managed to catch up with it.

When I arrived at the Quarry it was heard calling by myself and 2 other birders. We then saw it a couple of times before it flew past us and into the shrubs shown below.

It showed itself a couple of times again before heading off towards the road, where we presume it carried on into the Crown Estate Fields.

In the Obs garden lots of Painted Lady's and a male Broad-bodied Chaser. One of these days I'll get a photo of the Chaser.

The last time the Subalpine Warbler was seen was when it flew..........

..........into these bushes here close to the road, before heading off again towards the Crown estate Fields to the west.

There are always predators around, here a Kestrel is looking for voles or a juicy Grasshopper.

And there is always a Raven not to far away.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ships today

Way out in the English Channel the Triton Ace a Vehicles Carrier flying the flag of Panama. This vessel is on its way from Veracruz (Mexico) to Antwerp (Belgium). More on this cargo ship Here.