14 Jun 18

Broadcroft Quarry Butterfly Reserve

Despite the stiff breeze there were plenty of butterflies about. Mainly Meadow Browns and Speckled Woods. There were a few Common Blues and Large Skippers, which proved difficult to photograph, plus 2 Dingy Skippers.

I came across a couple of Burnet Companions Moths, my first Six-spot Burnet Moths of the year and a Silver-Y.

A few hoverflies about, though not many were settling, just the one Mimic Bee Hoverfly (Volucella bombylans), normally I come across Volucella plumata.

There were a few Swollen-thighed Beetles and what looks like a Noon Fly but isn't. There was also another fly to ID and I'm sure I came across a Black-horned Gems (Microchrysa polita), but there again could have been a Green Gem (Microchrysa flavicornis). Two to check.

Here are a few images:

Speckled Wood

Meadow Brown

Large Skipper

A Six-spot Burnet moth (Zygaena filipendulae), with quite a few on the wing...................

...............perhaps the caterpillars I saw last week were those of the Six-spot Burnet moth and not Five-spot.
Silver-Y

Burnet Companion

Dingy Skipper

The jungle

Mimic Bee Hoverfly (Volucella bombylans)

A Black-horned Gems (Microchrysa polita), but it could be a Green Gem (Microchrysa flavicornis), but they have yellow antennae.

Fly sp.

Swollen-thighed Beetle, Oedemera nobilis

I was thinking this was a Noon Fly. But the size is all wrong.

Another view of my mystery fly.

The view looking south over Bumpers lane.