6 Mar 21

Out and About

Early afternoon, I had to pop into Weymouth to buy some Chick Crumb for the 10 ducklings that are due to hatch between tomorrow and the 12 March. It was quite strange driving into Weymouth, as this was only the second time I have been here during Lockdown, the first being for my vaccine at the Pavilion.

This time my route was over the bridge next to the Swannery Car park, and as I drove over I saw my first Mute Swans and Tufted Ducks for this year. Hopefully when Lockdown ceases to be, I'll be able to add many more birds to my year list.

When I got back there was a Peacock Butterfly flitting around the back garden plus several Honey Bees on the Azalea flowers again.

A bit later I took Ted for a walk through the Lower Horse Paddock, up Broadcroft Quarry Lane, through Broadcroft Quarry Butterfly Reserve and then back through the Horse paddock from the top end of the field.

Unfortunately I left it a bit late for our walk and even though the was sun out, I didn't find or see any insects whatsoever. Mind you with that bitter north-easterly I wasn't really that surprised.

In fact there were no migrants seen or heard today either, but at least I had one good highlight, as I think I may have got lucky with a female Greenfinch nest building in one of the Gorse Bushes on the Butterfly Reserve.

I was just waiting for Ted to catch up and a pair of Greenfinches were calling overhead. As I watched them, the female dived into a Gorse Bush next to me and never reappeared. As for the male, he landed several metres away on another Gorse Bush. One to keep an eye on for the future, and it goes without saying from a safe distance.

Here are a few images from today:

Almost anywhere you walk on Portland you will hear a Robin singing.

An adult Herring Gull in pristine condition.

If animals could talk to each other I wonder what this Starling and Bunny would be saying to each other!!

There are only a few places in the butterfly reserve where you will find Primroses. This patch just seems to be growing larger every year.

Looks like Ted is on a mission and he very nearly carried on running down the wrong track.

Mammals Recorded: 12 Bunnies (All in the Lower Horse paddock)

Birds Recorded: Mute Swan, Tufted Duck, 1 Buzzard, Herring Gull, Wood Pigeon, Dunnock, Robin, Blackbird, Long-tailed Tit, Great Tit, Blue Tit, Wren, Magpie, Carrion Crow, Jackdaw, Starling, House Sparrow, Chaffinch, Goldfinch and Greenfinch

Ships Today

This is the French Cargo Ship "MN Pelican" on its way from Poole to Bilbao (Spain). More on this vessel Here.

This is the German Cargo Ship "Paulin B" on its way from Teignmouth to Antwerp. More on this vessel Here.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
On this day..........
2020
Today's Sightings Here

2019
Today's Sightings Here.

2018
Today' Sightings Here.