27 Mar 21

Penns Wood, St Andrew's Church, Church Ope Cove, Penn's Weare, Penn's Copse, Rufus Castle, Bumpers Lane, Broadcroft Quarry Lane, Broadcroft Quarry Butterfly Reserve and Lower Horse Paddock

Well I got off to a great start today with a Willow Warbler singing from the top of my neighbours Sycamore Tree. I wasn't too sure whether it was a Chiffchaff and then it began to sing.

Chiffchaff Song (courtesy of Xeno-canto)

Willow Warbler Song (courtesy of Xeno-canto)

Alas the walk wasn't as fortuitous as my back garden tick was and the best I could do was a male Greenfinch singing away in Bumpers Lane.

I think I left it a bit late for my walk, and by the time I had reached the cove, the clouds were moving in quick and if there were any butterflies about, they had all taken shelter.

In fact it was pretty cold, which would probably account for the fact, that as well as the absence of any butterflies, I didn't see a single bee or hoverfly either. Roll on Tuesday!!!

Here are a few images from today:

A very smart looking male Blackbird in the Lower Horse Paddock

One of a few Wall Lizards I came across today. This one was on a beach hut.

And a Red Velvet Spider Mite (Trombidiidae sp). Now that I know what they are, I'm now seeing lots of them.

And a meadow full of daisies.

He can fly through the air. One very happy dog is Ted. He just loves his walks.

Tuesday 30th March 2021 is looking good

Birds Recorded: Herring Gull, Wood Pigeon, Dunnock, Robin, Blackbird, 1 Willow Warbler, Long-tailed Tit, Great Tit, Blue Tit, Wren, Magpie, Carrion Crow, Jackdaw, Starling, House Sparrow, Chaffinch, Goldfinch and Greenfinch

Reptiles Recorded: Wall Lizard (Podarcis muralis)

Mites, Ticks & Pseudoscorpions: Red Velvet Spider Mite (Trombidiidae sp)


Ships Today

This is the British Cargo Ship "Scot Venture" on its way from Varberg (Sweden) to Newport. More on this vessel Here.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
On this day
2020
Today's Sightings Here

2019
Today's Sightings Here.

2018
Today' Sightings Here.