16 Mar 21

Wakeham

Well I was going for a walk today, but as I was checking our Khaki Campbell ducks, I found 2 ducklings emerging from their eggs. But for some reason both eggs had been ejected from the nest and unfortunately one of the ducklings had died.

Even the other one was on its last legs, so it was a case of bringing it indoors and using the hair dryer to bring it back to life.

Well so far it's good news, as it has eaten and drank some water. It's now in a box in front of the wood burning stove and fingers crossed it will survive the night.

Originally I had the start date of the incubation as 12 Feb with 10 eggs. What I hadn't realised was that Louisa was actually sat on 12. So where I had the date of hatching to be around 14 March for 10 eggs, it should have been and was today 16 Mar, with 12 eggs. In amongst the remaining white coloured eggs was a single blue egg.

Other news from the garden I had my first Small White butterfly of the year, plus both Honey Bees and a White-tailed Bumblebee again.

Here are a few images and videos from today:

Our fist Khaki Campbell duckling

And this evening doing well in front of the fire.

My first Small White butterfly of the year.

And a short clip with a musical background to drown out the builders in the new estate behind the Cottage.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
On this day
2020
Today's Sightings Here

2019
Today's Sightings Here.

2018
Today' Sightings Here.