9 Apr 21

Barleycrates Lane and Reap Lane

The plan was, that having visited Portland's Recycling Centre, Ted and I would have a walk around King Barrow Quarries Nature Reserve. However as I drove around to the entrance of the reserve, I could see that it was pretty packed with visitors.

So instead we parked up in Weston and had a good walk along Barleycrates Lane and Reap Lane. And what a great decision it turned out to be, with 3 firsts for the year, which were a few Sand Martins, a Common Whitethroat and one possibly two Garden Warblers. I saw the latter as I made my first circuit along Barleycrates Lane.

On my return walk down Barleycrates, I didn't see the second bird, but I could certainly hear it in the bushes which were a little further along the path from where I saw the first bird!! The song was a sub-song and was continuous with just the briefest of breaks before it continued with me just stood a few metres away.

Elsewhere on my walk I came across several Chiffchaffs, Willow Warblers and Wheatears in the hedges and fields, whilst along the top of the cliffs were dozens of Swallows and a few Sand Martins.

Here are a few images from today:

Just below the West Cliffs was this Grey Seal, in the same area I saw a heavily pregnant female back in January Here.

Skulking along one of the hedges was this Common Whitethroat

Here it is again, keeping an eye on me this time.

There are many Pheasants on Portland. I'm not sure if they "belong" to anyone, but they are everywhere.

Here is the impressive looking male.

And the female

These Starling seem to be my favourite birds to photograph at the moment. Those iridescent colours are pretty stunning.

And there is no mistaking this as a Robin. It would be interesting to know just how many there are the island. A good thousand plus birds I would guess. Possibly more.

One of our more colourful finches, a Goldfinch.

Within a split second this female Linnet became a................

............male Linnet.

Barleycrates Lane is a pretty good area for 7-spot Ladybirds. There were dozens in the hedgerow, especially on the Alexanders.

Mammals Recorded: Seal

Birds Recorded: 3 Buzzard, 1 Kestrel, 2 Pheasant, Herring Gull, Stock Dove, Wood Pigeon, Skylark, Sand Martin, Swallow, Meadow Pipit, Pied Wagtail, Dunnock, Robin, 8+ Wheatear, Blackbird, 1 pos 2 Garden Warbler, 1 Common Whitethroat, 6+ Chiffchaff/Willow Warblers, Wren, Magpie, 2 Rook, Carrion Crow, Jackdaw, Raven, Starling, House Sparrow, Chaffinch, Linnet and Goldfinch

Butterflies Recorded: Large White and Small White

Bees Recorded: Honey Bees (Apis mellifera) and Buff-tailed Bumblebee (Bombus terrestris)

Hoverflies Recorded: Common Dronefly (Eristalis tenax)

Bugs and Beetles Recorded: 7-spot Ladybird (Coccinella septempunctata)

Ships Today

This is the Container Ship "Susan" flying the flag of Antigua Barbuda. It is on its way from Rotterdam to an unknown destination. More on this vessel Here.

This is the Maltese Cargo Ship "Opaline" on its way from Rozenburg to Dublin. More on this vessel Here.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
On this day
2020
Today's Sightings Here

2019
Today's Sightings Here.

2018
Today' Sightings Here.