25 Apr 21

Wakeham

It was another beautiful day and if you could find shelter from that icy wind from the east, it was very warm. Today was focussed on the Cherry Tree in the back garden, which is now in full blossom, and don't the bees know it.

There were at least 4 Buff-tailed Bumblebees and at this point I must say a big thank you to my good friend Ed Wilson for pointing out to me that my White-tailed Bumblebees I keep reporting, are in fact Buff-tailed Bumblebees.

Other bees enjoying the blossom was a Red-tailed Bumblebee, dozens of Honey Bees and 5 different species of Andrena Bees, including a first for me. In amongst the bees a lone Tapered Dronefly put in an appearance.

Elsewhere in the garden, a Frog poked its head up out of the weed in the pond, a Red Admiral and a Large White touched down briefly by the pond before heading off and there were several Bronze Furrow Bees in the flowerbed.

And as I sat down for a drink a Willow Warbler briefly landed on the Cherry Tree. It saw me and was off. Later a Dunnock sat on the uppermost branches and burst into song.

The only other invertebrate I came across was a 7-Spot Ladybird.

Here are a few images from today:

Another excellent blossom on the Cherry Tree and lots of bees on it this afternoon.

And it wasn't just the bees, but also a Willow Warbler and this Dunnock.

There were at least 4 Buff-tailed Bumblebees here today.

And lots of Honey Bees. In fact if it wasn't for the wind, I'm sure I would have heard them.

Now I'm not saying I'm right, but I believe this a Grey-patched Mining Bee.

Here it is taking off.

Now this one looks very similar to the one above, but there is an orange tip to its abdomen.

This is an Orange-tip Mining Bee (Andrena haemorrhoa) and also goes by the name of Early Mining Bee.

And an easier one to identify. This is an Ashy Mining Bee.

Away from the Cherry Tree and a very small bee in the centre of this Dandelion flower.

Slightly enlarged and it is a Bronze Furrow Bee.

I don't mind saying but I'm stuck on this one. Its another Andrena, but one I'm unsure of. However, and a big thank you to my good friend Ed Wilson, who informs me that this looks good for Grey-banded Mining Bee (Andrena denticulata). It was no wonder I was stuck on this one, as it's first one I have come across.
 
A 7-Spot Ladybird on its travels.

I had just topped up the pond and this Frog popped its head out to find out what was going on.

Birds Recorded: Herring Gull, Wood Pigeon, Dunnock, Blackbird, 1 Willow Warbler, Great Tit, Blue Tit, Wren, Magpie, Carrion Crow, Jackdaw, Starling, House Sparrow, Chaffinch and Goldfinch,.

Butterflies Recorded: Large White and a Red Admiral

Bees Recorded: Honey Bees (Apis mellifera), Buff-tailed Bumblebee (Bombus terrestris), Red-tailed Bumblebee (Bombus lapidarius), Ashy Mining Bee (Andrena cineraria), Chocolate Mining Bee (Andrena scotica), Grey-patched Mining Bee (Andrena nitida), Orange-tip Mining Bee (Andrena haemorrhoa), Grey-banded Mining Bee (Andrena denticulata) and Bronze Furrow Bee (Halictus tumulorum)

Wasps Recorded: 1 Common Wasp (Vespula vulgaris)

Hoverflies Recorded: Tapered Dronefly (Eristalis pertinax)

Bugs and Beetles Recorded: 7-spot Ladybird (Coccinella septempunctata)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
On this day
2020
Today's Sightings Here

2019
Today's Sightings Here.

2018
Today' Sightings Here.