3 May 20

Wakeham

Well the sunny dry weather we had yesterday, gave way to cool, cloudy and drizzly conditions today. In fact the drizzle started around 4:30am this morning when I got up to switch off the moth trap.

A new addition to my Garden Bird Lockdown List was a Common Whitethroat behind the garden fence at the back of the garden. My list now stands at 44.

New to the Invertebrates garden list was a Cranefly (Tipula maxima). And thank you to my good friend Ed Wilson for the ID. Original I had it down as a Spotted Cranefly (Nephrotoma appendiculata), but I have no idea why, as it looks nothing like it.

In the moth trap this morning were 12 moths of 9 species, including a Spectacle which is a new species for my Portland Moth List.

Also in the trap was a caddisfly. Though I'm not sure whether I'll be able to pin it down to a specific species as there are almost 200 species in the UK

They were:
A# 1 Powdered QuakerOrthosia gracilis
B# 1 BrimstoneOpisthograptis luteolata
C# 1 Double-striped Pug, Gymnoscelis rufifasciata
D# 2 Light Brown Apple MothEpiphyas postvittana
E# 1 The Spectacle, Abrostola tripartita
F# 2 Heart & Dart, Agrotis exclamationis
G# 2 Shuttle-shaped Dart, Agrotis puta
H# 1 Ruddy Streak, Tachystola acroxantha
I# 1 Garden Carpet, Xanthorhoe fluctuata
J# 1 Caddis Fly sp.

My Lockdown Garden List is Here.


A# Powdered Quaker

B# Brimstone

C# Double-striped Pug

D# Light Brown Apple Moth

E# The Spectacle

E# The Spectacle

E# The Spectacle

E# The Spectacle and you can see how it got its name.

F# Heart & Dart

F# Heart & Dart

G# Shuttle-shaped Dart

G# Shuttle-shaped Dart

H# Ruddy Streak

I# This would have been an image of the Garden Carpet but it flew off, before I could photograph it. So instead here is taken last year in the garden.

J# Caddis Fly sp.

A Dock Bug on an Alexanders

And a Cranefly (Tipula maxima)

And who else but Ted, chilling out with Mum.

My Lockdown Garden List is Here.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
On this day..........
2019
Today's Sightings Here.

2018
Today's Sightings Here.