9 May 20

Wakeham

A bright sunny start to the day, though by the afternoon it began to haze over, just a little bit. Still very warm though, with temperature in the shade reaching 19.3°C.

Two highlights today were a Hobby over the garden heading towards the Grove and a new addition to the Garden Lockdown list, a Blackcap. Which brings my garden total to 46 now.

There now appears to be 2 Common Whitethroat in the Lower Horse paddocks, just a few hundred metres from the back garden. It appears to be a good year for Whitethroats, bearing in mind that over the past 2 years there haven't been any breeding Whitethroats in the horse paddock. Maybe a result of less people walking in the field because of the pandemic.

The Blackbirds have stopped visiting their nest in my neighbours garden. I'm hoping that the juveniles I can hear close-by are the fledglings from their bramble nest. Unfortunately yesterday there were a few Magpies upsetting the parents, so I'm hoping the youngsters weren't predated. The fact I can hear youngsters nearby has to be a positive outcome.

Also seen today were a two House Martins heading north, though I dipped badly this morning when there were Red Kite sightings from all over the island. The best opportunity I had of seeing one, was when two birds were reported heading up Portland's east coast. Unfortunately I didn't see them, as I was at the front of the house looking west for them. Another time maybe.

In the garden the Narcissus Bulb Fly was busy flying up the flower beds, but I think the heat has meant a lot of other insects and bees are keeping in the cool shade, as there were very few about.

There were a few Large Whites and Orange-tips again and as I headed back inside a Light Brown Apple moth landed on the fence next to me.


Narcissus Bulb Fly (Merodon equestris form bulborum)

Light Brown Apple moth (Epiphyas postvittana)

You can just about to see why this bee is called an Orange-tip Mining Bee (Andrena haemorrhoa)

A different view of a Common Green Shieldbug on the Cherry Tree.

And the new look Lighthouse, which Dawn repainted and is now back by the pond.

Looks like the warm weather has got to Benji and Ted.........

........so much so, they kept moving around the garden to find more shade.

My Garden Lockdown List Here

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
On this day..........
2019
Today's Sightings Here.

2018
Today's Sightings Here.