26 Dec 19

Wakeham Railway Cuttings, Penns Wood, St Andrew's Church, Church Ope Cove, Church Ope Cove Wood, Rufus Castle and Portland Museum

Did yesterday really happen. I have to ask, as yesterdays wall to wall blue skies, beautiful sunshine and really calm conditions, gave way to yet another wet and miserable day today.

My walk today was pre-planned as I knew I would be watching the footie and then setting off on my walk. Unfortunately the weather had different plans and even though the sun was out briefly and at least dry during my viewing of my match, as soon as I set off the rain began to fall. Light at first and then a deluge as I came off the beach. Yep me and Ted got absolutely soaked.

Despite the damp conditions I did at least manage 3 Firecrests, 2 Goldcrests and a Blackcap. Two of the Firecrests were at the back of the cove, whilst another and the Goldcrests Blackcap were in Penns Wood.

The beach was void of birds, but out to sea there was a lone Gannet heading south, an Oystercatcher heading north and a Cormorant fishing just off the beach.

Here are a few images from today:

One of the two Ravens here at the cove this afternoon. As this one was flying about its mate was..........

...........calling from the wood at the back of the cove.

Below the Raven and in the brambles was this Firecrest. Sadly only a very brief view.  Its mate was close-by. 

Just lately there have been quite a few things washed up on the beach at the cove. Not surprising when you consider the extreme weather we've been experiencing over the past few weeks. Recently there have been a few Whelk egg cases washed up, today a few Cuttlefish bones. I say bones, in fact they are the internal cartilaginous shell. More on Cuttlefish Here

Plenty of Hart's-tongue Ferns (Asplenium scolopendrium) in Penns Wood

Birds Recorded: 1 Gannet, 1 Cormorant, 1 Oystercatcher, Herring Gull, Wood Pigeon, Dunnock, Robin, Blackbird, 1 Blackcap, 2 Goldcrest, 3 Firecrest, Great Tit, Blue Tit, Wren, Magpie, 2 Raven and Chaffinch.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
On this day..........
2018
Today's Sightings Here.

2017
Today's Sightings Here.