27 Dec 22

Portland Castle Beach and Portland Marina

Yet again it was another late afternoon walk along the esplanade, between the beach and marina. It was also a quick walk, as I could see a squally shower coming in from the southwest.

In very dull and extremely windy conditions, there was very little to see. In fact I didn't see a single Red-breasted Merganser. I'm not sure where they've gone,

Birds Recorded:
Cormorant
Shag
1 Grey Heron
Black-headed Gull
11 Mediterranean Gull
Herring Gull
Great Black-backed Gull
1 Pied Wagtail
Magpie
Carrion Crow

A mixture of mainly Cormorants, a few Shags, 2 Herring Gulls, 2 Great Black-backed Gulls and a Grey Heron far right.

An adult winter Mediterranean Gull

And another adult winter Mediterranean Gull in flight.

These two adult Great Black-backed Gulls have got the right idea, hunkered down out of the wind.

And an adult male Pied Wagtail, which is almost as confiding as the Robin in my back garden. Which reminds me, I'm hoping to tempt the Robin with some live mealworms tomorrow. Watch this space!!


General Shots:

Yep it was windy with gusts reaching 47 mph today.

Ted:

It looks like Ted has had enough of running in straight lines.