16 Dec 22

Ferrybridge Sandflats

It was a very late visit to the Sandflats, in fact within 10 minutes of arriving the sun dropped behind Chesil Beach. However there was just enough light to see, with plenty of bird species noted.

Birds Recorded:
3 Little Egret
12 Brent Geese
4 Red-breasted Merganser
5 Oystercatcher
Ringed Plover
Dunlin
5 Bar-tailed Godwit
1 Whimbrel
Turnstone
Black-headed Gull
Herring Gull
Great Black-backed Gull
2 Pied Wagtail

Here are a few Little Egret shots:












- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -


Six Brent Geese heading up The Fleet

A pair of Red-breasted Mergansers

Five Dunlin and a Ringed Plover in the foreground.


General Shots:

The sun setting over Chesil Beach. The boat in the centre is our old tender "Tiki".

Another view of the Fleet and Sandflats as the sun sets.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

King Barrow Quarries Nature Reserve

On the way back from Ferrybridge I dropped into the local garage and as I was returning to the car, a Woodcock flew right over my head and towards the Nature reserve.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Wakeham

Earlier in the day I was topping up the feeders and noted that there were 3 Robins at different locations along the length of the back garden, which is a good 100ft long.

As I walked back to the Cottage, one of the Robin's flew down next to me and started feeding on some loose bird seed, I had placed on a low wall.

As I had some mealworms in a packet indoors, I went in and grabbed them. The Robin was still feeding on the seeds, so I offered the mealworms to it in the palm of my right hand and instantly it took off from the wall, landed on my hand, grabbed a few mealworms and flew off.

I would have continued, but Ted wasn't impressed by my new found friend and came charging up the garden.

Next time I'll get Dawn to offer up the mealworms and hopefully I'll be able to get some photos of it on her hand. Incidentally the mealworms were dead ones, so you can imagine the interest I'd get with live ones.