26 Jan 22

Portland Bird Observatory, Hut Fields, Portland Bill and Obs Quarry

It was another trip down to the Bill today, with the main highlight being two Turnstones just east of the Obelisk, with a Purple Sandpiper for company. There were a further 3 Purple Sandpipers west of the Pulpit.

Mammals Recorded:
Bunny

Birds Recorded:
Gannet
Cormorant
Shag
Buzzard
Kestrel
1 Oystercatcher
4 Purple Sandpiper
2 Turnstone
Herring Gull
Great Black-backed Gull
Razorbill
Guillemot
Wood Pigeon
6 Rock Pipit
Dunnock
Robin
Blackbird
1 Chiffchaff
Great Tit
Blue Tit
Wren
Magpie
Carrion Crow
Jackdaw
Starling
House Sparrow
Chaffinch
Linnet
Goldfinch

A sleepy Oystercatcher, though I should imagine it has one eye open.

Just three Purple Sandpipers today at the Pulpit. Or so I thought!!

Just east of the Obelisk I came across my first Turnstones of the year. It was only when I was editing this photo that I realised there was another Purple Sandpiper in the shot.


One of the four Purple Sandpipers feeding on one of the ledges

There were at least 6 Rock Pipits at The Bill today. A couple of days ago I didn't see or hear any here.


General Shots:

The setting sun behind the Lighthouse


Ted:

If Ted could talk, I'm sure he would say I have freedom!!


Ships Today:

This is the Greek Crude Oil Tanker "Amazon Fortitude" on its way from Antwerp to New York. More on this vessel Here.

This is the British Fishing Boat "Quarter Bell".............

.....................returning to Weymouth Harbour. In front of it are a few Guillemots. More on this vessel Here.

This is the British Fishing Boat "Clar Innis" on its way back to Weymouth Harbour. More on this vessel Here.

This is the British Fishing Boat "Loyal Friend" returning to Portland Harbour.