10 Jan 22

Portland Bird Observatory, Field Huts, Portland Bill, Higher Lighthouse, Top Fields, Crown Estate Fields and Obs Quarry

It was another murky day, but this time with a fine drizzle which followed me and Ted around on our late afternoon walk.

I had hoped that by having a late walk, I might get lucky with seeing the Little Owl leaving the Obs Quarry and perhaps a few Short-eared Owl in the Top fields. Unfortunately it wasn't the case for either and the only highlight was a Chiffchaff in the Top Fields to add to the "over-wintering" individual in the Obs garden.

Mammals Recorded:
Bunny


Birds Recorded:
Gannet
Cormorant
Shag
Kestrel
Herring Gull
Great Black-backed Gull
Razorbill
Guillemot
Stock Dove
Wood Pigeon
3 Rock Pipit
Dunnock
Robin
2 Stonechat
Blackbird
Song Thrush
2 Chiffchaff
Great Tit
Blue Tit
Wren
Magpie
Carrion Crow
Jackdaw
2 Raven
Starling
House Sparrow
Chaffinch
Goldfinch

It seemed very quiet out to sea with just a few Razorbills, Guillemots and Gannets, like this one as it made its way towards The Races.

Great Black-backed Gulls

No Purple Sandpipers seen at The Bill, but there were a few Rock Pipits on the ledges.

General Shots:

Despite the drop in the wind, there were a fair few waves pummelling the rocks at The Bill.

Surfs up at The Bill

I was watching this wave come in and before I knew it............

.............it was right over my head. Fortunately I was a good 10 metres away from the edge, so no danger of being swept in, but I got a good soaking though.


Ted:

Ted wondering whether he should join me or not.

That's as far as he got, especially when he saw the wave cover me from head to toe. Sensible dog.