10 Oct 23

Portland Bird Observatory, Obs Quarry, Hut Fields and Crown Estate Fields

Having missed out on a Barred Warbler and a Red-eyed Vireo seen at the Obs last month, I decided that I should make the effort to see the Red-breasted Flycatcher, which was seen at the Obs late morning.

I did think I might have left it too late to have a look (after all it was 3:30pm), but as luck would have it, it was in the front garden of the Obs flitting about in the Sycamores.

Apparently it had only just been released into the front garden, having alluded the mist nets until just before I arrived.

This is the 4th one I have seen on Portland since 2017, and the only one I've not managed a photo of. But I'm not complaining


Mammals Recorded:
1 Bunny

Its been awhile since I've seen a Bunny on the island.


Birds Recorded:
2 Buzzard
2 Kestrel
Herring Gull
Wood Pigeon
40+ Swallow
Meadow Pipit
Dunnock
Robin
Blackbird
5 Chiffchaff
1 Red-breasted Flycatcher
Great Tit
Blue Tit
Wren
Magpie
Carrion Crow
Jackdaw
Starling
House Sparrow
Chaffinch
Linnet
Siskin
Goldfinch

A scruffy looking Kestrel

A Common Buzzard taking off from..........

..............a post in the Crown Estate Field. There was another Buzzard calling away further up the field. I guess this one went to investigate.

Not a Red-breasted Flycatcher but our own Robin redbreast.

As I wasn't able to photograph the Red-breasted Flycatcher today, I managed to find this amazing video of one or two filmed in Estonia.

This is the call of a Red-breasted Flycatcher and was exactly what it sounded like today. In fact the calls aren't that much dissimilar from that of a Wren or a Robin, and unsurprisingly both the latter came to investigate.


Butterflies Recorded:
10+ Red Admiral


Bees Recorded:
Ivy Bee (Colletes hederae)

Ivy Bee (Colletes hederae) and.....

............another.


Ships Today:

This is the British Fishing Boat NN7 "Saint George" on its way back to Portland Harbour again. More on this vessel Here.