17 Jan 21

Mermaid Track, Rufus Castle, Bumpers Lane, Broadcroft Quarry Lane, Broadcroft Quarry Butterfly Reserve and Lower Horse Paddock

Well the weather started off sunny, but by the time I started my walk, around 1:00pm, it began to cloud over. I had intended to walk down to the cove via the Mermaid Track, but I can honestly say I have never seen so many people out walking.

In fact I only made it to the top of the steps at Rufus Castle, and then after having attempted three times to walk down the steps, I gave up and headed back towards Bumpers Lane. Sadly some people just don't get the Coronavirus guidelines, especially social distancing.

In some respects my walk was better for the change of direction and I had some good birding highlights right on my doorstep. In Broadcroft Quarry Lane I came across a small flock of 7 Greenfinch, a finch which is pretty scarce on Portland and then in the Lower Horse Paddock there were 3 Herring Gull, 7 Meadow Pipit, 2 Pied Wagtail, Dunnock, Robin, 2 Stonechat, 2 Blackbird, 2 Redwing, 3 Song Thrush, a Blue Tit, Wren, Magpie, Carrion Crow, 3 Starling and several House Sparrows.

Here are a few images and a video from today:

As I was walking up Broadcroft Quarry Lane these 2 Greenfinches landed in the Sallows.

And shortly after more Greenfinches arrived. In total there were 7, which is good number for a very scarce finch on Portland.

Two Redwing on the other side of the Lower Horse paddock.

And good to see that the overwintering Stonechats are still in the paddock. The female was close by.

And Ted on the lookout. For what I have no idea.

Birds Recorded: Gannet, Cormorant, Herring Gull, Great Black-backed Gull, Wood Pigeon, 7 Meadow Pipit, 2 Pied Wagtail, Dunnock, Robin, 2 Stonechat, Blackbird, 2 Redwing, 3 Song Thrush, Great Tit, Blue Tit, Wren, Magpie, Carrion Crow, Jackdaw, Starling, House Sparrow, Chaffinch, Goldfinch and 7 Greenfinch

Ships Today

This is the Bulk Carrier "CS Sonoma" flying the flag of the Bahamas. It is on its way from New Orleans (Louisiana) to Portland Harbour. On the horizon is the Cypriot Container Ship "BG Emerald" on its way from Rotterdam to Dublin. More on "CS SonomaHere and "BG EmeraldHere.

This is the Dutch Cargo ship "Clara K." on its way from Ijmuiden (Holland) to Belfast. More on this vessel Here.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
On this day..........
2020
Today's Sightings Here

2019
Today's Sightings Here.

2018
Today' Sightings Here.