9 Nov 20

Old Quarry Lane, Wakeham Meadow, Wakeham Railway Cuttings, Penns Wood, St Andrew's Church, Church Ope Cove, Penn's Weare, Penn's Copse, Rufus Castle, Mermaid Track, Bumpers Lane, Broadcroft Quarry Lane, Broadcroft Quarry Butterfly Reserve and Lower Horse Paddock.

What a weird day not so much with the weather which was showery at times but bird oddities I came across. First off there were 15 Goldcrests, along the Railway Cuttings and then I came across 2 House Martins heading south over Penn's Weare.

At least everything else I came across was more in line with what I thought I might find. So the other highlights were:

Old Quarry Lane: 3 Greenfinches and 2 Redwing, plus a Raven overhead

Railway Cuttings: 2 Chiffchaffs plus a Grey Wagtail overhead

Pennsylvania Castle Woods: 1 Chiffchaff and 2 Goldcrests

Church Ope Cove: 1 Chiffchaff at the back of the cove

Church Ope Cove: The male Black Redstart still in the northeast corner of the cove

Church Ope Cove: 5 Rock Pipits on the beach

Broadcroft Quarry Butterfly Reserve: a Fieldfare and 4 Meadow Pipit

Lower Horse Paddock: 8 Meadow Pipits and the long staying pair of Stonechats.

Here are a few images and videos from today:

Well, other than for myself, Penns Wood was the place to be with a Pallas's Warbler, a Yellow-browed Warbler and a Firecrest. All seen after I had moved on down to the cove. That's birding for you.

I did have a couple of good highlights myself with 2 House Martins making there way south over Penns Wear and along the Wakeham Railway Cuttings 15 Goldcrest. Here's one of them feeding in amongst the Ivy clad Sycamore.

The view looking south from Penns Weare.

A little lower down on Penn's Weare and a beautiful view of the cove. And despite all the rain, wind and crashing waves over the past week, the sea today was really clear.

Now I did get down to the northeast corner of the cove and managed to see the male Black Redstart. However a heavy shower passed overhead and that was the last I saw of it. Well............

.............so I thought. As I walked across Penns Weare, it flew up over my head and started to feed along the east facing cliff just north of the cove.

Other than the rain, this might be one of the other reasons the Black Redstart moved on.

I managed to photograph this Kestrel with its head turned towards me, but would it turn around for the video!!

There's no excuse for not photographing a Robin, especially when one pops right up in front of you.

One of these days I might be able to buy myself a half-decent camera and lens. Despite being fairly close to this Fieldfare, the Bridge Camera I use, just doesn't cope in poor light. One day.

Here's my attempt at videoing it.

And even worse was my effort at videoing a Redwing.

Now close ups I can do. Especially when the subject is moving slowly. This is a Garden Snail surrounded by what I believe are Heath Snails. To the right and adding a bit of colour a Daisy.

Talking about colours there are still quite a few wildflowers about. This is bright yellow one is Common Hawkweed, Hieracium vulgatum.

And here is Self-heal, Prunella vulgaris. More on this plant Here.

A very wet Ted. But at least his jacket kept most of him dry. He just needs a hat.

Birds Recorded: Gannet, Buzzard, Peregrine Falcon, Kestrel, Herring Gull, Lesser Black-backed Gull, Great Black-backed Gull, Wood Pigeon, 2 House Martin, 12 Meadow Pipit, 5 Rock Pipit, 2 Pied Wagtail, 1 Grey Wagtail, Dunnock, Robin, 2 Stonechat, 1 Black Redstart, Blackbird, 1 Fieldfare, 2 Redwing, 4 Chiffchaff, 17 Goldcrest, Long-tailed Tit, Great Tit, Blue Tit, Wren, Magpie, Carrion Crow, Jackdaw, Raven, House Sparrow, Chaffinch, Linnet, Goldfinch and 3 Greenfinch

Wasps Recorded: Common Wasp (Vespula vulgaris)

Flies, Craneflies, Gnats and Midges Recorded: Kelp Fly (Coelopa frigida)

Slugs and Snails Recorded: Garden Snail (Cornu aspersa) and Heath Snail (Helicella itala)


Ships Today

This the British Frigate "HMS Richmond" on military operations in the English Channel More on this vessel Here.

This is the British Range Safety Boat "Smit Wey" on its way from Portland to an unknown destination. More on this vessel Here.

This is the British Fishing Boat "Quarter Bell".......

............. returning to Weymouth from fishing off the Bill and Chesil Beach. More on this vessel Here.


----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
On this day
2019
Today's Sightings Here

2018
Today's Sightings Here.

2017
Today' Sightings Here.