30 Dec 18

Church Ope Cove and Penns Wood

Well if I thought Church Ope Cove was busy over the past week or so, then I was clearly mistaken. It was packed today and how I managed to record any birds was pretty amazing. Unsurprisingly the Rock Pipits were very flighty and though disturbed several times, they did return to the washed-up seaweed to feed on the hundreds of Kelp Flies. I guess the only real bonus of the pipits flying about was that I was able to count all 33 of them. Also on the beach were both the Grey and Pied Wagtails.

There was no sign of the Stonechat which like on other occasions was probably on Penns Weare just north of the cove, and also there was no sign of either the "Rock" and Hut" Robins. However I did get lucky with the Black Redstart, though a couple and their dogs walked straight past me and scared it and all the other birds in front of me. To say I was gobsmacked would be an understatement, especially when I was stood there with my binoculars and camera looking into the corner where they headed. I'm not being funny, but if it was the other way round, I would have stopped and asked if it was okay to go in front of me. Hey ho it happens. Rant over.

Needless to say the Black Redstart, and not for the first time, headed around the headland to the north-east of the cove. Well at least it hasn't moved on altogether.

At the back of the cove there were 2 Chiffchaffs and I also came across another one at the top of Penns Wood, where there was also another Grey Wagtail.

Here are few images from today:

A few photos of the Grey Wagtail

Another shot

And last one.

The male Pied Wagtail, making the most of the abundant food source.

A couple of the Rock Pipits had white feathers at the base of the tail.

Here is another showing a white "patch"

As above.

This one is having a stretch and no obvious white patch on this bird.

Difficult to see but this bird has just gobbled a Kelp Fly.

Birds Recorded: 3 Gannet, Cormorant, 1 Kestrel, Herring Gull, Great Black-backed Gull, Wood Pigeon, 33 Rock Pipit, 1 Pied Wagtail, 2 Grey Wagtail, Magpie, Carrion Crow, Wren, 3 Chiffchaff, 2 Goldcrest, 1 Black Redstart, 2 Robin, Blackbird, Great Tit, Blue Tit, Long-tailed Tit, Chaffinch and Goldfinch.

Also recorded: 2 Grey Squirrels in Penns Wood.

Ships Today

This is the General Cargo Vessel "Celtica Hav" flying the flag of the Bahamas. If you look closely bottom right off centre there is a Gannet behind the branches.

Celtica Hav is on its way from Erith to Teignmouth. More on this vessel here.

This is the Cypriot Cargo Vessel "BG Emerald" on her way from Rotterdam to Cork. More on this vessel here.

This is the Dutch Cargo Vessel "Siegedijk" on its way from Portland Harbour to Murmansk, Russia. More on this vessel here.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
On this day..........
2017
Today's Sightings Here