25 Nov 23

Lodmoor RSPB Reserve

This was a totally unplanned visit to Lodmoor, but one that I am very pleased I did. To cut a very long story short, I had 45 minutes to spare before I was meeting Dawn at Wey Bay Caravan; so as I was passing Lodmoor, I decided to take Ted for a short walk there.

The highlight was meeting several birders heading back to the car park, after they had seen an American Golden Plover in amongst a large flock of Golden Plovers.

I was very fortunate that despite the failing light, myself and other birders did at least see it take off briefly and land in amongst around 300 Golden Plovers.

This is my first UK sighting of this plover, and one that was, well very fortuitous on my part.


Birds Recorded:
2 Cormorant
1 Little Egret
2 Grey Heron
2 Mute Swan
Canada Goose
Shelduck
Mallard
Teal
Shoveler
Tufted Duck
2 Water Rail (heard)
Moorhen
Coot
300+ Golden Plover
1 American Golden Plover
40+ Lapwing
10 Dunlin
20+ Snipe
Black-headed Gull
Mediterranean Gull
Herring Gull
Wood Pigeon
Dunnock
Robin
Blackbird
Song Thrush
1 Cetti's Warbler (heard)
Magpie
Carrion Crow
Starling
House Sparrow
Chaffinch

A Grey Heron waits perfectly still for its next meal to swim by.

Using a bit of fill-in flash this Mute Swan came out pretty well. In the background is a Snipe,

Well here are.................................

.......................at least 300 Golden Plovers and..........

...............in this small section is where the American Golden Plover landed.

A few of the 20+ Snipe...........

...............seen from.................

.......................the path.


General Shots:

Not quite a full Moon that will be on the 27 Nov.


Ted:

Yes Ted is pretty dark. Now where's the car parked!!!