29 Dec 21

Newton's Cove

Well the plan was to do a quick shop in Weymouth and then on the way back, have a look to see what was about in Newton's Cove. Unfortunately the afternoon sun disappeared as quick as it had appeared and by the time I arrived at the cove, the light was fading very fast, especially with a huge bank of cloud moving in from the south-west.

As it was, there was very little on the water, other than than a Cormorant fishing and a small flock of Herring Gulls bobbing about close to Nothe Fort.

On land the only birds of note were a huge gathering of Carrion Crows along the path to the north of the cove, whilst up on the cliff top, where I was stood, was a very vocal Raven. And that was about it.


Birds Recorded:
1 Cormorant
Black-headed Gull
12 Herring Gull
1 Great Black-backed Gull
Wood Pigeon
Magpie
50+ Carrion Crow
Jackdaw
1 Raven
House Sparrow

This was a curious sight at Newton's Cove, with around 40 Carrion Crows on the path.

Just in this photo alone there were 30 and then as I was photographing.......

..........Nothe Fort, I noticed there were another dozen or more on the path on the far left of the photo.

As soon as I got out of the car I could hear this Raven and boy was it........

...............vocal. Annoyingly it spotted me and flew off before I could record it calling.


General Shot:

Newton's Cove, with Nothe Fort on the peninsular.

Ted:

Ted sporting his woolly jacket. Not that he really needed it with temperature at 13.0°C