31 Jul 21

Old Quarry Lane and Wakeham Meadow

Well I didn't time that very well for my walk. I knew there were showers about, but when I left the cottage it was in bright sunshine. I only managed to get to the meadow before a big black cloud appeared to the west and 20 minutes later it was raining.

However I did have a few highlights, with my first Small Copper of the year, coming across 2 Painted Lady's and watching a Common Darter "darting" up and down Old Quarry Lane. The only disappointment being, I wasn't able to photograph any of them.

Birds Recorded:
Herring Gull
Wood Pigeon
5 House Martin
4 Swallow
Dunnock
Blackbird
Great Tit
Blue Tit
Wren
Magpie
Carrion Crow
House Sparrow
Chaffinch
Goldfinch


Reptiles Recorded:
7 Slow-worm

Under one of the boards along Old Quarry Lane were these 3 Slow-worms plus another 2.


Dragonflies and Damselflies Recorded
:
Common Darter


Butterflies Recorded:
Large White
Small White
Meadow Brown
Gatekeeper
2 Painted Lady
Small Copper

Butterflies were hard to find today, even though I did come across my first Small Copper of the year, plus 2 Painted Lady's. Here is a Gatekeeper, hunkered down in the grass as the rain began to fall.


Moths Recorded:
Garden Grass-veneers (Chrysoteuchia culmella)
Straw-barred Pearl (Pyrausta despicata)

There were several Garden Grass-veneers in the meadow plus this...........

................Straw-barred Pearl (Pyrausta despicata)


Bees Recorded:
Honey Bees (Apis mellifera)
Buff-tailed Bumblebee (Bombus terrestris)
Common Carder (Bombus pascuorum)
Red-tailed Bumblebee (Bombus lapidarius)
Tree Bumblebee (Bombus hypnorum)

A worker Red-tailed Bumblebee

This is only the second Tree Bumblebee I have seen this year.


Hoverflies Recorded
:
Common Dronefly (Eristalis tenax)
Dead Head Hoverfly (Myathropa florea)
Thick-legged hoverfly (Syritta pipiens)
Spotted Meliscaeva (Meliscaeva auricollis)
Marmalade Hoverfly (Episyrphus balteatus)
Long Hoverfly (Sphaerophoria scripta)

Common Dronefly (Eristalis tenax)

Dead Head Hoverfly (Myathropa florea)

Thick-legged hoverfly (Syritta pipiens)

I'm not 100% certain but I think this is..........

............a Spotted Meliscaeva (Meliscaeva auricollis)


Flies, Craneflies, Gnats and Midges Recorded:
Flies sp.

Fly sp.

Fly sps.

Fly sps.

Fly sp.


Bugs and Beetles Recorded
:
Common Red Soldier Beetles (Rhagonycha fulva)
Swollen-thighed Beetle (Oedemera nobilis)

A female Swollen-thighed Beetle (Oedemera nobilis)


Ted:

I don't think Ted was too impressed by the rain and was waiting..........

......for me patiently to take him home


----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
On this day..........
2020
Today's Sightings Here

2019
Today's Sightings Here

2018
Today's Sightings Here.

2017
Today' Sightings Here.