31 Jul 18

Mermaid Track, Rufus Castle, St Andrews Church and Pennsylvania Castle Wood.

Summer is back after the last 2 days of rain and cloud, and this morning walk I had a walk along one of my favourite treks. There were quite a few butterfly species seen and because people keep telling me I'm misidentifying the Blue Butterfly species, from now on I shall just refer to them as "blue" butterflies.

So what was about, well lots of "blue" butterflies, 3 Commas, 2 Red Admirals, Large Whites, Green-veined whites, Gatekeepers and Meadow Browns.

For the second day running no Six-spot Burnet moths seen. I had 1 Silver Y and several micro moths.

Also seen were a Dark Bush-cricket (Pholidoptera griseoaptera), 7-spot Ladybird (Coccinella septempunctata) and 3 Migrant Hawkers, one along the Mermaid Track and two in the grounds of St Andrew's Church

Overhead at Rufus Castle, I had a noisy Peregrine Falcon, presumably a juvenile with one of the parents. Other birds of note were both Chiffchaff and another Autumn/juvenile yellow coloured Willow Warbler.

Here are few images from this morning in the order I took them along my walk.

A Red Admiral along the Mermaid Track

One of the 3 Migrant Hawkers seen today. This one was also along the Mermaid Track..........

..........as was this Dark Bush-cricket.

A moth to ID. This one was on the coast path on the way down to Rufus Castle.

Along the path I had a Gatekeeper.......

........and another "blue" butterfly.

Down the steps from Rufus Castle the Blackthorn (Sloe) is now in fruit.

They look absolutely perfect for picking.

Another "blue" butterfly this one on Penn's Weare Here

A Peregrine Falcon way way above my head.

A Meadow Brown also on Penn's Weare along...........

......with another "blue" butterfly.

Its not often you see so many boats and yachts in a line. This was looking out from Church Ope Cove.

A Silver Y comes into land.

And after a few seconds folds its wings up.

A Comma in the grounds of St Andrew's Church......

......where there were a few Wall Lizards.....

........basking in the sun.

Also here another "blue" Butterfly and......

......and worn Gatekeeper.

In Penn's Wood a 7-spot Ladybird