27 Jul 20

Out and about

What a disaster of a day. News was out that a Cattle Egret was in amongst the cows, in a field next to my sister's old bungalow at Southwell. When I got there I found out it was there yesterday.

Well I had I got here a day earlier I might have seen the Cattle Egret in the field........

...........with the tractor in it. My sister used to live in the bungalow just to the right. It was quite awhile ago, around the time when there used to be a good head of cattle in the field here. Sadly "Foot and Mouth" hit the island and the cattle disappeared for many years. However they are back and hopefully there will be more Cattle Egrets dropping in.

I did at least see 2 Wall Browns and Common Blue along the track above the field.

So having drawn a blank there, it was off to the Jurassic Pools to see the Wood Sandpiper, which has been there for a few days now.

But another disaster! Had I got there in time, instead of spending a good hour trying to find the pools, I might have seen it. But no it had flown. Still it was nice to watch a family of Stonechats around the pools, plus a Garden Warbler which was in the brambles briefly.

Here are a few images and videos from today:

The Middle Pool with the Jurassic Pool top left. The pool behind me looked like it had dried up years ago. Sadly this middle pool wasn't the pool where I thought the Wood Sandpiper was. However I did come across a Little Grebe here.

The Middle Pool was in fact across the main road, behind a hedge which I had passed on numerous occasions, in my effort to find this location.

A panoramic of the 3 small pools.

No sign of the Wood Sandpiper, instead there were these two.......

........juvenile Stonechats.

A Chaffinch feeding on insects close to the waters edge.

And Ted enjoying his walk around the pools.

Birds Recorded: Little Grebe, Mallard, Sparrowhawk, Moorhen, Coot, Herring Gull, Wood Pigeon, House Martin, Swallow, Reed Warbler, Common Whitethroat, Willow Warbler, Wren, Magpie, Carrion Crow, Jackdaw, House Sparrow, Chaffinch, Linnet and Goldfinch

Butterflies Recorded: Meadow Brown

Bees Recorded: Honey Bees (Apis mellifera) and White-tailed bumblebee (Bombus lucorum)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
On this day..........
2019
Today's Sightings Here

2018
Today's Sightings Here.


2017
Today' Sightings Here.