22 Oct 17

East Weare

The last of the gale force winds of Storm Brian began to ease off this morning, though not completely. I think they they got to around 65mph here on Portland, but this morning it was just a stiff breeze.

So it was off to the East Weare to see if anything was about. I'm really pleased I did as there were quite a few birds still sheltering here. The main highlights were a Yellow-browed Warbler and Firecrest just below the climbers cliff, where there were also Blackcaps, Chiffchaffs, Goldcrests, a Song Thrush and Blackbirds. I right little hotspot!

On top of the cliff there were just the 4 Stonechats an adult male, a 1st-winter male and 2 females.. Also here a few Meadow Pipits feeding on the ground. A Redwing was along Broadcroft Lane and another in Bumpers Lane Quarry. Overhead at least 8 Siskins in small parties of 2 to 3.

Images from this morning Here:

A male Stonechat

A 1st-winter male Stonechat

As above

A female Stonechat

And another female.

A Rock Pipit!! Nope a Meadow Pipit on a rock....

This is how you normally see them, low to the ground.

However this one was very obliging.......

....and came up to me!!

Along the East Weare, below the rock climbers cliff, there were two Sycamores and an Ivy-clad tree which was full of warblers and crests. The star of the show was a Yellow-browed Warbler, followed by a Firecrest. Other birds in here were Robin, 2 Blackbirds, 1 Song Thrush, 3 Blackcap, 6 Chiffchaff, 5 Goldcrest and a Wren. Whenever a Kestrel flew over they would vanish at speed into the Ivy and Buddleia. After standing there for 30 minutes I had to bow to the elements as a heavy shower moved in, otherwise I think I would still be there.

A female Blackcap with her reddish cap.

Here is one of the 2 male Blackcaps

And also hiding, a Song Thrush. The crests and warblers were so flighty it was impossible (for me anyway) to track them with a camera. Would have been brilliant to have got a few shot of the Yellow-browed Warbler and Firecrest.

Great to see that the Ivy Bees are still out, albeit just two of them along the cliffs.

A Common Drone Fly.

A wasp sp.

As with the wasp, I had to use flash to photograph this Marmalade Hoverfly

A Fox in Bumpers Lane Quarry.

The RNLI Lifeboat took a trip out to the "Races".......

.......and certainly found some big waves.

After going around The Bill it..........

......eventually came around and headed back to Weymouth.

This the container ship, Elbfeeder flying a Cypriot Flag and on its way to Cork from Antwerp. More on this vessel Here

Birds Recorded today: 1 Kestrel, 1 Great Black-backed Gull, Wood Pigeon, 8+ Skylark, 12+ Meadow Pipit, Dunnock, 10+ Robin, 4 Stonechat, 12+ Blackbird, 2 Redwing, 2 Song Thrush, 3 Blackcap, 8 Chiffchaff, 1 Yellow-browed Warbler, 5 Goldcrest, 1 Firecrest, Great Tit, Blue Tit, Wren, Magpie, Carrion Crow, 30+ Starling, House Sparrow, Chaffinch, 50+ Linnet, 8 Siskin and 7 Goldfinch.

Also about: 1 Fox, 1 Red Admiral, 2 Ivy Bees, 1 Common Drone Fly, 1 Marmalade Hoverfly

The Obs Quarry and Hut Fields

I had hoped to catch a glimpse of the Wryneck seen at the Quarry yesterday evening, but having sat there from 3:25pm - 4:25pm I gave up and had a walk around the scrubland where I'd seen the Red-breasted Flycatcher a couple of days ago. No sign of the flycatcher, probably blown right back inland after Storm Brian. Instead there were 3 Firecrests, 4 Chiffchaffs and a female Blackcap.

To be confirmed, but it looks like I had female Serin land in a dead Elder, not more than 10 feet away from where I was standing. As I was watching the Firecrests a finch-like bird flew across in front of me into the Elder. Unfortunately the sun was behind it and I didn't have a chance to adjust the camera. Instead I took 2 quick shots before it flew off. The original images are just silhouettes, but a bit of enhancement in PhotoShop and its quite clearly a finch-like bird, most likely a female Siskin, but it looked bigger and was probably a House Sparrow.

Note
Oh well after consultation with Martin Cade at the Obs it turns out it was a female House Sparrow, which I did think originally but perhaps had hoped was something a bit more special. Having said that House Sparrows are in decline so I'm not disappointed at all, but pleased that there are still quite a few here on Portland.

The "scrubland" in amongst the huts and just behind the Obs. This was where the Red-breasted Flycatcher was a few days ago. Today there were Firecrests, Chiffchaffs and a Blackcap.

I thought I had this Firecrest in the centre of the frame. Obviously not.......

....a bit better this time.

My mystery bird which I was hoping would be a Serin......

...but I thought could be a female Siskin, but a larger than "normal" bird. However it is actually a female House Sparrow. The greenish cast isn't the plumage colouration but the effect of underexposure and my attempts to lighten a very underexposed image using PhotoShop.

Here is the original image.

A small beetle of the Scarabaeidae family. I've been told that it is one of the Aphodius species. It landed on my rucksack as I sat by the quarry. More here.
Me and my boats I know. This is a British Oil Products Tanker, the Whitchampion on its way to Plymouth from Fawley, Southampton. More on this vessel Here