8 Oct 24

Wakeham

It was real mixture of sunshine and really heavy showers today. So it was a case of choosing the right moment to stretch my legs in the back garden.

I was actually quite surprised as to how many bird species I noted in the hour I spent in the garden with 19 recorded. One of those was my first Great Spotted Woodpecker on the island this year, which flew over the rooftops towards Pennsylvania Castle Woods.

Other highlights were a lone Swallow heading south and two Chiffchaffs in the brambles and Sycamores to the rear of the garden.

Birds Recorded:
Herring Gull
Wood Pigeon
Collared Dove
1 Great Spotted Woodpecker
1 Swallow
2 Pied Wagtail
Dunnock
3 Robin
1 Blackbird
2 Chiffchaff
1 Great Tit
1 Blue Tit
Magpie
Carrion Crow
Jackdaw
Starling
House Sparrow
Chaffinch
Goldfinch

The overwintering.........

............Robin in the back garden.

And quite mobile up and down the garden.

Here it is pretty agitated by two other Robins close by.

Here it is pretty agitated by two other Robins close by.

And here is.........

..............one of the two Chiffchaffs.......

...........in the brambles to the rear of the garden.


Escapees, Ferals, Possibles Etc
.
12 Feral pigeon


Butterflies Recorded:
None


Moths Recorded:
None


Bees Recorded:
2 Honey Bee (Apis mellifera)

A Honey Bee (Apis mellifera) on a Fuchsia sp.

And another Honey Bee on Common Cosmos (Cosmos bipinnatus)


Hoverflies Recorded:
None


Flies, Craneflies, Gnats and Midges Recorded:
A few unidentified flies


Caterpillars Recorded:
Large White

The caterpillars of the Large White butterfly are........

..........really fattening up on the Nasturtium (Tropaeolum majus) leaves.


General Shots and Videos:

Rain is on its way.....

........And when it rains on Portland it comes down in bucket loads.


Ted:

And no he hasn't been sat there all night. 😂😂

And this is not what it looks like either!!! This is Ted coming outdoors to show me his Hedgehog toy, before he takes it upstairs to bed with him.

Footnote

I have just found out that my heart op has been pushed back to Monday 21st Oct. And the reason why is because I decided to change my Covid and Flu Vaccination from 19th Oct to 5th Oct, primarily so as to prevent me getting Covid before my op.
Apparently, and unknown to my surgeon and the cardio doctors at Dorchester, having a heart op within 14 days of having a covid vaccination I could incur myocarditis, which basically inflames the heart. More on covid and myocarditis here.
It was only the intervention of a Pharmacist at Southampton General Hospital, that the issue was realised.