24 Apr 22

Old Quarry Lane, Wakeham Meadow, Lower Horse Paddock, Broadcroft Butterfly Reserve and Upper Horse Paddock

And for the third day running it was a repeat of what is turning out to be a pretty interesting route. No new birds today, in fact one bird from yesterday has been removed from my bird lists as it wasn't a Bonelli's Warbler recorded, but a male Chaffinch with a very peculiar song.

Fortunately I had met up with another birder and we were both gobsmacked to see and hear this odd sounding Chaffinch. Certainly not a typical male Chaffinch song. I did try to record it, but to no avail. However, I will be back another day to have another go.

Other highlights were 9 Swallows, 3 Meadow Pipit, 2 Yellow Wagtail, 3 Common Whitethroat, 2 Blackcap, 2 Chiffchaff and 1 Willow Warbler (singing).

A few more butterfly species today including my first Orange-tips for the year.

Mammals Recorded:
Bunny

Birds Recorded:
Kestrel
Herring Gull
Wood Pigeon
Collared Dove
9 Swallow
3 Meadow Pipit
2 Pied Wagtail
2 Yellow Wagtail
Dunnock
Robin
Blackbird
3 Common Whitethroat
2 Blackcap
2 Chiffchaff
1 Willow Warbler
Great Tit
Blue Tit
Wren
Magpie
Carrion Crow
Jackdaw
Starling
House Sparrow
Chaffinch
Linnet
Goldfinch
Greenfinch

A male Pied Wagtail. Earlier 2 Yellow Wagtails flew north over the paddocks.

A male Robin on lookout from the top of a Sycamore Tree

And the male Chaffinch which has caused a lot of discussion over the past few days.  It's quite extraordinary how a Chaffinch can sing a song that no other Chaffinch, as far as I'm aware of, has sung before. The recording I made yesterday sounded very much like a Western Bonelli's Warbler (if only). And even today when it was singing, you would be forgiven if you still thought it was a Bonelli's. I was unable to record it today, but believe me I will be having another go very soon.

There seems to have been a bit of an "explosion" of Linnets this Spring. They are everywhere, even in my back garden.

And it also appears that the Greenfinches are having a good start to the year, with at least 3 pairs in and around the reserve.


Butterflies Recorded:
6 Orange-tip
Large White
Small White
2 Wall Brown
1 Speckled Wood
1 Peacock

I was unable to photograph any of the Orange-tips I saw today, but I did manage this Wall Brown, albeit slightly out of focus.

I did get a sharper image, unfortunately it decided to fold its wings up just as I pushed the button.

A Speckled Wood on a Sycamore leaf.


Bees Recorded:
Honey Bees (Apis mellifera)
Buff-tailed Bumblebee (Bombus terrestris)
Common Carder (Bombus pascuorum)
Grey-patched Mining Bee (Andrena nitida)


Hoverflies Recorded:
Marmalade Hoverfly (Episyrphus balteatus)


Bugs and Beetles Recorded:
1 Dock Bug (Coreus marginatus)

This was the only bug I came across on my walk. A Dock Bug soaking up the sun.


Plants:
Spanish Bluebell (Hyacinthoides hispanica)

Not our native Bluebell but a Spanish Bluebell. The main difference being, the flowers on the Spanish Bluebells are all around the stem, whilst those on the English Bluebell are all on one side. More Bluebells Here.

General Shots:

The "bump" at the far end of the butterfly reserve, where all the activity seems to be at the moment.

A drone which took off from the recreation field and was buzzing over the reserve.


Ted:

Out of the wind is pretty warm and I think Ted was feeling it a bit.

Ships Today:

This is the Maltese Passenger Ship "Celebrity Beyond" on its way from Southampton to an unknown destination. More on this vessel Here.

This is the British Ro-Ro Cargo Ship "Hurst Point" on its way from Southampton to an unknown destination. More on this vessel Here.