8 Nov 21

Mermaid Track, Rufus Castle, Penn's Wood, Penn's Weare, Church Ope Cove and Penns Wood

It was a slightly shorter walk this afternoon, as no sooner had I stepped outside and a fine drizzle began to fall. And by the time I got to the cove its was coming even harder, so it was a quick walk back via Penns Wood.

Only highlights today were a single Chiffchaff in Penns Wood, 3 Rock Pipits on the beach, where there were also 3 Oystercatchers on the rocks.


Birds Recorded:
3 Oystercatcher, 
Herring Gull
Great Black-backed Gull
Wood Pigeon
3 Rock Pipit
Dunnock
Robin
Blackbird
1 Chiffchaff
Long-tailed Tit
Great Tit
Blue Tit
Wren
Magpie
Carrion Crow
Chaffinch
Goldfinch


It was only when these two Oystercatchers took off that I realised there were........

...........three.

An adult Herring Gull

This Robin seems very interested in something.


Wasps Recorded:
Common Wasp (Vespula vulgaris)


Bugs and Beetles Recorded:
Harlequin Ladybird pupae (Harmonia axyridis)

Harlequin Ladybird pupae


Plants
:
Common Toadflax (Linaria vulgaris)

Common Toadflax. Also known as Yellow Toadflax and Butter-and-eggs

General Shots:

I did say the weather was miserable and as I took this shot the rain began to fall quite heavily.

This Ammonite would have been quite a size, millions of years ago.

Here's my shoe to give you an idea of its size.

I'm not 100% sure but I believe the black stone in this rock is known as Rough Black Obsidian


Ted
:

I think Ted has spotted something or someone.

And he's off. Ted has spotted a local chap, who not only trims back the weeds from the paths but also has an endless supply of doggie treats.


Ships Today

This is the Dutch Cargo Ship "Jade" on its way from Belfast to Erith. More on this vessel Here.