12 Nov 21

Old Quarry Lane, Wakeham Meadow, Wakeham Railway Cuttings, Mermaid Track, The Cuttings, Bumpers Lane, Broadcroft Quarry Lane, Upper Horse Paddock and Lower Horse Paddock

Overnight the wind picked up and with it a few blustery showers. However the weather forecast was for a brief spell of clear skies around midday and hurray there was.

Despite the windy conditions I did manage to find a few migrants, with 2 Meadow Pipits, a pair of Stonechat, 2 Redwing and a Chiffchaff. The latter in Broadcroft Quarry Lane.

The only invertebrates noted were 1 Buff-tailed Bumblebee and 3 Common Wasps.

Mammals Recorded:
Bunny


Birds Recorded:
Herring Gull
Wood Pigeon
Collared Dove
2 Meadow Pipit
Dunnock
Robin
2 Stonechat
Blackbird
2 Redwing
1 Chiffchaff
Great Tit
Blue Tit
Wren
Magpie
Carrion Crow
Jackdaw
Starling
House Sparrow
Chaffinch
Goldfinch

A pair of Stonechats in the Upper Horse Paddock.

Here's the male in the paddock area.

Here he is again looking for his next meal.

Goldfinches just below the Cuttings


Bees Recorded
:
Buff-tailed Bumblebee (Bombus terrestris)


Wasps Recorded:
Common Wasp (Vespula vulgaris)

A Common Wasp

Here is an example as to why it is a Common Wasp and not the very similar German Wasp (Vespula germanica), where the yellow bands are triangular.


Plants
:
There are many different Fern species with some examples Here. Unfortunately I can't find any that resemble the ferns below

fern sp. - 1
fern sp. - 2

Fern - 1

Fern - 1

Fern - 2

Fern - 2 underside


Ted
:

There were a couple of opportunities to do a run of Ted's.

He's really going for it here.

And a good pose before running on.

I'm sure he enjoys it. Well he's fast asleep in his bed now. So I guess he did.

Not Ted I know. But as I was waiting for him, I thought I heard him coming and held the shutter release down. I couldn't believe it when I realised I had photographed a leaf flying by. And I managed 5!!!