11 May 21

Portland Bird Observatory, Obs Quarry, Hut Fields, The Obelisk, QinetiQ and Crown Estate Fields.

I got very lucky today, I knew there had been a Chough flying around the Obs and local fields during the morning, but unfortunately I couldn't get down there until the afternoon. As I parked up in the Obs carpark and then got out of the car, I couldn't believe my luck as I heard the Chough and then watched it fly overhead and around to the back of the lighthouse.

By the time I'd got to the veranda it had gone. It was seen by others and was last seen heading down to The Bill, which is exactly where I headed.

Despite a thorough search, I didn't see it again, which was a great shame. So I really was lucky to hear it and catch a glimpse of one of our more "exotic" looking crows.

Not my video but one of many you will find of Choughs on YouTube. What a beautiful bird.

Other highlights on my walk were a Hobby up in the Top Fields, a Little Owl in the Obs Quarry and around The Races were thousands of gulls feeding on baitfish plus at least 2 Sandwich Terns.

Here are a few images and videos from today:

One of the Little Owls on lookout in the Obs Quarry

One of the juvenile Stonechats from around the Hut Fields.

Sea Thrift brightening up an otherwise cloudy and wet afternoon.

There were a good thousand or more gulls around The Races.

Herring Gulls of all ages having a fish frenzy


A large majority were Herring Gulls plus a few Great Black-backed Gulls and Gannets.

In amongst the Herrings an adult Great Black-backed Gull


Its been awhile since Ted has had a Buzz. Well he's making up for now.

Birds Recorded: Fulmar, Gannet, Cormorant, Shag, Hobby, Pheasant, Herring Gull, 2 Sandwich Tern, Stock Dove, Wood Pigeon, 1 Little Owl, Meadow Pipit, Dunnock, Stonechat, Blackbird, Common Whitethroat, Great Tit, Blue Tit, Magpie, Carrion Crow, Jackdaw, Chough, Raven, Starling, House Sparrow, Chaffinch, Linnet and Goldfinch

Ships Today

This is the British yacht "Bliss" sailing through the Portland Races on its way from Exmouth to Portland Harbour. More on this vessel Here.

This is the British Patrol Ship "HMS Tamar" on its way from Portsmouth to Plymouth. More on this vessel Here.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
On this day
2020
Today's Sightings Here

2019
Today's Sightings Here.

2018
Today' Sightings Here.