25 May 21

Lodmoor RSPB Reserve

Not that Lodmoor is that far from Portland, but I normally only visit the reserve when I'm close by. And today was one of those days as I had to do some shopping in Weymouth. So it was great opportunity to have a look and see what was about.

One bird I was really hoping to see was a Bonaparte's Gull which was first seen here on 19 May 21. The second bird I wanted to catch up on was an Iceland Gull and the third bird a Spoonbill. Well I didn't manage all three, but I did see my first ever Bonaparte's Gull and had great views of the Spoonbill which has been here since Sunday.

Apparently the Iceland Gull appears on the reserve mid to late afternoon, with other roosting gulls. Unfortunately I had to get back to Portland by 3:00pm and also it started to chuck it down with rain. So no Iceland Gull, but hopefully another time.

Other birds of interest were my first Common Terns and Black-tailed Godwits of the year, plus my first Lapwing as well, which I saw flying over the north end of Radipole Reserve on my way home.

Here are a few images and videos from today:

A Bonaparte's Gull all the way from North America and a lifer for me.


1st Summer Bonaparte's Gull

Not brilliant as it was raining, but a closer view of the Bonaparte's Gull. Well done to the birder who discovered it a week ago I for one would have had it down for a Black-headed Gull or even a Little Gull for its size. For a comparison between a Bonaparte's and Black-headed Gull click Here.

There I was watching the Common Terns on their rafts when all of a sudden they took to the air.

I didn't see what it was that spooked them, but a friend of mine, Brendan Shiels said he saw a Marsh Harrier someway behind them. That would do it!!

And two for the price of one. Behind the Spoonbill is the Bonaparte's Gull.

After sifting through the water searching for food its............

.............time for a good preen.

Birds Recorded: Cormorant, Little Egret, Grey Heron, 1 Spoonbill, Mute Swan, Canada Goose, Shelduck, Mallard, Gadwall, Tufted Duck, Moorhen, Coot, 2 Oystercatcher, Lapwing (Radipole RSPB Reserve), 2 Black-tailed Godwit, Bonaparte's Gull, Black-headed Gull, Herring Gull, Great Black-backed Gull, 80+ Common Tern, 2 Sandwich Tern, Wood Pigeon, 2 Swallow, Dunnock, Robin, Blackbird, Reed Warbler, Cetti's Warbler, Chiffchaff, Great Tit, Blue Tit, Wren, Magpie, Carrion Crow, House Sparrow, Chaffinch, Goldfinch and Greenfinch

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
On this day
2020
Today's Sightings Here

2019
Today's Sightings Here.

2018
Today' Sightings Here.