25 Mar 19

Penns Wood, St Andrews Church, Church Ope Cove and Bumpers Lane

Another very warm sunny day, which again saw a lot of butterflies on the wing with 12 Peacock, a Small Tortoiseshell flying across the cove and a Brimstone flying around Rufus Castle. Not only was the Brimstone my first for the year, but amazingly it was my first on Portland since I moved here in May 2017.

Other highlights were a pair of Blackcaps at the back of the cove where there were also 4 Chiffchaffs.

On the beach, after a long absence there were 3 Rock Pipits and a pair of Pied Wagtails.

Just about everywhere I walked I could hear Wall Lizards scurrying away, but the only one to show itself properly was by the benches by the lookout at Rufus Castle.

A new hoverfly for me today, an Eristalis arbustorum which I came across at the top of the steps by Rufus Castle.

Here are a few images from today:

In Penns Wood a Peacock butterfly comes to rest on the leaves of a Russian Comfrey.

The same butterfly with wings closed.

In the shade a Robin sings away in the grounds of St Andrew's Church

Not sure which wasp species this is.

The pattern on the abdomen might help, but a head on shot might have been better. One to ID.

A Honey Bee flies in...........

.........to an Alexanders.

Do you know what I have no idea what species of Bumblebee this is.

Had it had a white tail I would have said a Tree Bumblebee, Bombus hypnorum. One to ID

And another to ID a hoverfly possibly one of the Syrphini species.

If you look closely you can just make out the black cap of a male Blackcap.

And another snap shot as it disappeared into the bushes. He and a female were at the back of the cove.

An interesting fly. And one I don't think I have come across before................

 .............and it wasn't alone either with several others around the beach huts at the back of the cove here.

On the beach a Rock Pipit keeps a wary eye on me. There were two others scurrying around the beach picking off the Kelp Flies.

Also on the beach this male Pied Wagtail eyeing up a Kelp Fly in front it.

And also a female.

On Penns Weare another Peacock butterfly soaking up the suns rays.

Looking down onto Church Ope Cove from Penns Weare.

I came across 2 Harlequins today, this one on Penns Weare and another by Rufus Castle.

A Nursery Web Spider waits for its prey

I seem to be doing well today for new species. Either that or my memory is that bad that I can't remember seeing them before. I'm sure I've not come across this before, very similar to a Drone Fly, but half the size. In fact this is a Eristalis arbustorum and definitely a new one for me.

Just the one Wall Lizard seen with dozens of others heard in the undergrowth along my walk.

Another Peacock butterfly sunning itself.

Over Bumpers lane a Buzzard circles.

In the lower paddocks a Dunnock in good voice.

A plant to ID

Ivy-leaved Toadflax, Cymbalaria muralis (Also known as Kenilworth Ivy, Coliseum Ivy, Oxford Ivy, Mother of Thousands, Pennywort and Wandering Sailor)

Birds recorded: 1 BuzzardKestrelHerring GullWood Pigeon, 2 Meadow Pipit, 3 Rock Pipit, 2 Pied WagtailDunnockRobinBlackbird, 2 Blackcap, 4 ChiffchaffGreat TitBlue TitWrenMagpieCarrion CrowJackdawHouse SparrowChaffinch and Goldfinch.

Reptiles recorded: 8 Wall Lizards

Butterflies recorded: 12 Peacock, 1 Small Tortoiseshell and a Brimstone

Also recorded: Buff-tailed BumblebeeHoney Bee, 1 Bumblebee sp.Hoverflies sp.


Ships Today

This is the British Replenishment vessel ' RFA Tiderace' out in Weymouth Bay heading east. More on this vessel Here.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
On this day..........
2018
Today's Sightings Here.