8 Mar 19

Penns Wood and Church Ope Cove

A day of dodging showers and for once I timed it just right and managed to keep dry.

Some good birds about today, though the absence of any Rock Pipits and both the Grey and Pied Wagtails was a bit of a surprise when I got to the beach.

The main highlights however were pretty good with 2 Goldcrests in Penns Wood, 2 Chiffchaffs in the grounds of St Andrew's Church and at the back of the cove a Firecrest and another Chiffchaff. A small flock of 5 Long-tailed Tits were doing the rounds and it appears the Chiffchaffs and the Firecrest were with them, as well both Great Tit and Blue Tits.

And to round things off the dishevelled female Black Redstart was in the northeast corner of the cove. Yesterday I assumed she had been bathing, however my thoughts are that she is moulting, as there are a couple of white feathers either side of her chest.

On the Hebes at the back of the cove were two sodden bumblebees, one was a Buff-tailed Bumblebee,and the other was half its size and I thought at first it was a Small Garden Bumblebee (Bombus hortorum), but I found out later that it is actually an Early Bumblebee (Bombus pratorum) and a first for me on Portland.

Here are a few images from this afternoon:

I have been ID'ing these hoverflies as Syrphus ribesii, but I might have to rethink this and take a step back.

Like most insects in particular flies and hoverflies, similar species can be very difficult to ID in the field.

So until I can pin these down to a particular species I think I will stop at Syrphus sp. However later on I was informed that is a male Syrphus torvus hoverfly.

The drop at the front of St Andrews Church where today there were 2 Chiffchaffs, Long-tailed Tits and a Firecrest.

Also from the grounds of St Andrew's Church the view across Church Ope Cove where today........

...........the female Black Redstart remains.

With no Rock Pipits or wagtails to photograph today it was down to.........

..........chirpy Wren to give me a couple of nice poses for the camera.

These 2 Bumblebees were absolutely soaking wet.

They were drying out slowly but as to what they were, I believe the top one to be a Buff-tailed Bumblebee (Bombus terrestris) and the smaller one is an Early Bumblebee (Bombus pratorum).

And the 'female' Dunnock is still singing away at the top of Penns Wood.

I should know what this is, but I can't seem to recall the name. It was in Penns Wood and in the same place as last year. And it is Green Alkanet (Pentaglottis sempervirens). More on this plant Here.

Birds Recorded: 3 Cormorant, Herring Gull, Wood Pigeon, Dunnock, Robin, 1 Black Redstart, Blackbird, 1 Song Thrush, 3 Chiffchaff, 2 Goldcrest, 1 Firecrest, 5 Long-tailed Tit, Great Tit, Blue Tit, 2 Wren, Magpie, Chaffinch and Goldfinch.

Also recorded: 1 male Syrphus torvus hoverfly, 1 Buff-tailed Bumblebee and an Early Bumblebee.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
On this day..........
2018
Today's Sightings Here.