27 Jul 24

Old Quarry Lane, Wakeham Meadows and Wakeham Wildlife Site

As it was a very late walk, I decided that instead of recording the fauna and flora I came across, that instead I would try and find as many bee and wasp species as I could.

Below is what I found, but there were many species missing. I think I might try this again, but a lot earlier in the day, just to see how many species I can find.


Bees Recorded:
Honey Bee (Apis mellifera)
Buff-tailed Bumblebee (Bombus terrestris)
Red-tailed Bumblebee (Bombus lapidarius)
White-tailed Bumblebee (Bombus lucorum)
Common Carder Bumblebee (Bombus pascuorum)

Honey Bee (Apis mellifera)

These two are...............

..............Buff-tailed Bumblebees (Bombus terrestris)

This is a White-tailed Bumblebee (Bombus lucorum)

These three................

.....................are...............

............male Red-tailed Bumblebees (Bombus lapidarius)

And these two..........

.............are Common Carder Bumblebees (Bombus pascuorum)


Wasps Recorded
:
Common Wasp (Vespula vulgaris)

The Common Wasp (Vespula vulgaris) nest site in the meadow.