17 Jul 24

Wakeham

After all the rain we have had, it was a great opportunity to get back into the garden and dig over the right-hand flowerbed which had softened up in the rain. I also had a request from Dawn to level the lawn in one spot, as there was a bit of a hill in the middle of the garden.

I'm pleased to say I accomplished both, though it did take a good 6 hours of digging and weeding to get there. But at least I'm almost halfway there in giving the garden a much needed facelift.

It was a pretty warm day and I had a lot of drink breaks, which gave me a chance to see what was about. One big positive was the number of butterflies passing through the garden with 4 Large White, 2 Red Admiral, 1 Comma and a possible faded Meadow Brown. The latter flew through very quickly before I could get a positive ID.

There were also a few moths about, especially when I disturbed the foliage. There were a couple of micro moths, a macro and a Silver Y. None of which I was able to photograph.

Main highlights though were 3 Swifts and my first Autumn Yellow Wagtail heading south down the island.

Here a few photos from today.

One of the 3 Common Buzzards over the cottage this afternoon.

What are you staring at! A Kestrel circling the garden.

One of the 3 Swifts making their way down the island.

Its been awhile since I've seen a Frog. Its good to know there is at least one in the "Tractor" pond.

A Comma

Common Carder Bee (Bombus pascuorum) on the Purple Loosestrife (Lythrum salicaria)

Honey Bee (Apis mellifera) on the Lavender (Lavandula sp.)

Ted following me around the garden.

This privately owned Van's RV-7A aircraft. Registration G-PROS is on its way from La Rochelle (France) to an airfield south of Weston-Super-Mare (Somerset). More on this aircraft here.