9 May 24

Old Quarry Lane, Wakeham Meadows and Wakeham Wildlife Site

It was an even shorter walk today, as my leg was still giving me grief. Hopefully a visit to the Physiotherapist on Tuesday will get to the bottom of it.

So my walk today was literally across the road from the house and one which was pretty good with lots to see.

Birds Recorded:
Herring Gull
Great Black-backed Gull
Wood Pigeon
Collared Dove
1 Swift
Dunnock
Robin
Blackbird
1 Garden Warbler
1 Common Whitethroat
4 Blackcap
2 Chiffchaff
Great Tit
Blue Tit
Wren
Magpie
Carrion Crow
Jackdaw
Starling
House Sparrow
Chaffinch
Linnet
Goldfinch

It wasn't until I got home and started editing my phots, that I realised I'd actually photographed a Swift alongside this Great Black-backed Gull, which I was photographing at the time.

There were at least..........

...............four Robins singing along my walk.

I was standing under this Sycamore  (Acer pseudoplatanus), when this Wood Pigeon landed on the branch above my head. Judging by the twig it was holding I guess I was pretty close to a nest it was building. I left promptly.

I could hear it in the bushes, but seeing this Common Whitethroat was extremely difficult.


Butterflies Recorded
:
10+ Orange-tip
4 Large White
5 Small White
2 Holly Blue


Moths Recorded:
Silver Y (Autographa gamma)
Green-longhorn Moth (Adela reaumurella)

My first Silver Y (Autographa gamma) of the year.

And a Green-longhorn Moth (Adela reaumurella). I have only seen individuals this year so far. Normally there would be several males and females dancing around the Sycamore leaves.


Bees Recorded:
Buff-tailed Bumblebee (Bombus terrestris)
Red-tailed Bumblebee (Bombus lapidarius)
Honey Bee (Apis mellifera)
1# - bee sp.
2# - sweat bee sp.

A Buff-tailed Bumblebee (Bombus terrestris) on Wall Cotoneaster (Cotoneaster horizontalis)

And it's lift off for this Honey Bee (Apis mellifera)

1# - And lift off from this Meadow Buttercup (Ranunculus arvensis) is a bee sp.

2# - And on this Wood Avens (Geum urbanum), which also goes by the name of Herb Bennet, was this very tiny sweat bee.


Hoverflies Recorded
:
Dead Head Hoverfly (Myathropa florea)

Dead Head Hoverfly (Myathropa florea)............

.................with a small companion.

And the same Dead Head Hoverfly with............

...............a hoverfly sp. passing by.


Flies, Craneflies, Gnats and Midges Recorded
:
fly sp.

fly sp.

As above


Bugs and Beetles Recorded
:
Common Green Shieldbug (Palomena prasina)
Dock Bug (Coreus marginatus)
weevil sp.

A Common Green Shieldbug (Palomena prasina) and a weevil sp.

And a Dock Bug (Coreus marginatus)


Plants
:
Wood Avens (Geum urbanum)

This is Wood Avens (Geum urbanum) and............

..............also goes by the name of Herb Bennet


Ted
:

Bye then Ted


Aircraft Today
:

This is the British Airways BOEING 787-10 Dreamliner (twin-jet) on its way from New Orleans to London Heathrow. More on this flight here.

This is the TUI Fly Boeing 787-8 (twin-jet) on its way from Brussels to Punta Cana (Dominican Republic). More on this flight here.