24 May 24

Wakeham

I'm not having much luck at the moment, what with a dodgy left leg, which is still numb for the third week running, I managed to trip over (whilst walking backwards with a green waste bag) and succumbed a big bruise on my back and twisted my left knee. I forget sometimes I'm not a teenager anymore. 😂😂.

Anyhow, I did manage to battle on and prune back a deadly Buckthorn with its 2 inch needles, which was threatening to take someone's eyes out. Well we can guess who that would have been!!

There wasn't much on the bird front, and the same with butterflies. In fact it must be the first time I've not seen a single butterfly in the garden this Spring, apart from when its been raining. It was a bit of surprising, considering it was a beautiful sunny day.


Birds Recorded:
Herring Gull
Wood Pigeon
Collared Dove
Dunnock
Robin
Magpie
Carrion Crow
Starling
House Sparrow
Chaffinch
Goldfinch


Butterflies Recorded:
None!

Moths Recorded:
1 Silver Y (Autographa gamma)

A Silver Y moth


Bees Recorded
:
1 Garden Bumblebee (Bombus hortorum)
1 Red-tailed Bumblebee (Bombus lapidarius)
1 Flavous Nomad Bee (Nomada flava)

Unbeknown to me, in the process getting rid of a lot of green waste over the past few days, I had unearthed a Garden Bumblebee nest.....

...Fortunately there was no damage to the nest, other than I had removed the roof. So having made sure she had returned and was making good the damage I had caused...

....I then began to rebuild the sides and top. I was happy in covering the hole at the top, as I had noticed she had been entering the nest from below. Hopefully all is well now!!

Ted inspecting my handwork.

I'm pretty sure this a Flavous Nomad Bee (Nomada flava) and here.....

.........is a video of it cleaning itself up before flying off (In slow-motion)


Wasps, Ichneumon Wasps, Parasitic Wasps and Gall Wasps Recorded
:
#1 - wasp sp.
#2 - Ichneumon Wasp sp.
#3 - Ichneumon Wasp sp.

#1 - If you can see it in the centre, a minute wasp of about a centimetre in length.

#2 - Ichneumon Wasp sp.

#3 - Ichneumon Wasp sp.


Hoverflies Recorded:
1 Common Dronefly (Eristalis tenax)
1 The Footballer (Helophilus pendulus)
1 Cheilosia sp.
1 hoverfly sp.

Common Dronefly (Eristalis tenax)

The Footballer (Helophilus pendulus)

Cheilosia sp. - possibly

hoverfly sp.


Flies, Craneflies, Gnats and Midges Recorded:
Blue Blowfly (Calliphora vicina)
Grass Fly (Chlorops pumilionis)
Muscid Fly (Phaonia subventa)
1 fly sp
1 cranefly sp.

Blue Blowfly (Calliphora vicina)

Grass Fly (Chlorops pumilionis)

Grass Fly (Chlorops pumilionis)

Muscid Fly (Phaonia subventa)

Fly sp.

A cranefly sp. Take your pick from here.


Bugs and Beetles Recorded
:
Swollen-thighed Beetle (Oedemera nobilis)
Hairy Shieldbug (Dolycoris baccarum)
Common Green Capsid (Lygocoris pabulinus)

Swollen-thighed Beetle (Oedemera nobilis)

Hairy Shieldbug (Dolycoris baccarum)

I'm hoping I have made an educated guess with this being the nymph of a Common Green Capsid (Lygocoris pabulinus). What do you think here.


Slugs and Snails Recorded:
Garden Snail (Cornu aspersa)

Garden Snail (Cornu aspersa)