23 May 24

Wakeham

Having made my last "Green" Waste trip to the tip, I took time out and had a wander around the garden, to see what was about.

Main highlight was spotting a tadpole very briefly in the "Bath" pond. As I have only seen Palmate Newts in here this year I can only assume that is what it was.

Other highlights were two Swallows overhead and a carpet moth sp. which flew off before I could get a decent photo of it to ID it.


Birds Recorded:
Herring Gull
Wood Pigeon
Collared Dove
2 Swallow
Dunnock
Magpie
Carrion Crow
Jackdaw
Starling
House Sparrow
Chaffinch
Linnet
Goldfinch

A very "tatty" Carrion Crow.


Amphibians Recorded
:
tadpole sp. (possibly Palmate Newt)


Butterflies Recorded:
1 Large White
1 Red Admiral


Moths Recorded:
1 carpet moth sp.

I spotted this moth in the Jasmine and as I went to photograph it, it flew off. One from the Geometridae family, possibly a carpet moth sp.


Bees Recorded:
1 Ashy Mining Bee (Andrena cineraria)
andrena sp.
1 Buff-tailed Bumblebee (Bombus terrestris
nomada sp.

An Ashy Mining Bee (Andrena cineraria)

An andrena sp.

nomada sp.


Wasps, Ichneumon Wasps, Parasitic Wasps and Gall Wasps Recorded:
1 Ichneumon Wasp sp.

An Ichneumon Wasp sp.


Hoverflies Recorded
:
1 Chequered Hoverfly (Melanostoma scalare)


Bugs and Beetles Recorded:
1 Swollen-thighed Beetle (Oedemera nobilis)

My first Swollen-thighed Beetle (Oedemera nobilis) this year. This is a male.


Crickets and Grasshoppers Recorded
:
Dark Bush-cricket (Pholidoptera griseoaptera)

There are still lots of Dark Bush-cricket nymphs about. I've not seen an adult yet.


Slugs and Snails Recorded
:
Great Pond Snail (Lymnaea stagnalis)

Great Pond Snail (Lymnaea stagnalis in the "Bath" Pond.

And another Great Pond Snail.