8 Jan 24

Lower Horse Paddock, Higher Horse Paddock, Broadcroft Butterfly Reserve, Broadcroft Quarry Lane and Bumpers Lane

It was another day where I left it a bit too late for a walk, but I'm glad I did, as I came across a tree felling company that were clearing the trees and bushes along Bumpers Lane to generate more open areas for butterflies etc.

One of the trees earmarked for the chop is the Portland Russet apple tree which I still need to register. I will definitely be doing that tomorrow, as it is worth protecting for the locals who harvest it in the Autumn.

The only birds of interest were a flock of around a dozen Linnets and my first Song Thrush of the year, which funnily enough was in the Ivy next to the Portland Russet tree.

Birds Recorded:
20+ Herring Gull
Wood Pigeon
Dunnock
1 Song Thrush
Magpie
Carrion Crow
Jackdaw
Starling
House Sparrow
Chaffinch

General Shots:

Snow showers on the horizon..........

..........getting ever closer as the setting sun lights up the clouds over the Young Offenders Institute. And yes it did snow just as I got home. Not much, just a light sprinkling.

And the hedge and tree clearance along Bumpers Lane.

Should be interesting to see what the clearance will provide this Summer.

And this is the apple tree I would like them to...............

............keep. The Portland Russet which I will now definitely register tomorrow. I just hope I'm not too late!!!!