10 Oct 21

Old Quarry Lane, Wakeham Meadow and Windmills

Well I didn't venture far today, as everything seemed to be right on my doorstep. There were some great highlights along Old Quarry Lane with several Chiffchaffs, 4 Blackcaps and a female Common Redstart. Also in the same area were at least 5 Blackbirds and a Song Thrush feeding on the Cotoneaster berries.

Overhead were House Martins, Swallows and what is now becoming a regular sighting, Siskins, with a couple making their way south.

Having spent a good 30 minutes sat very still watching the birds passing through, and with Ted having a kip next to me, it wasn't really surprising to see a Fox venture out into the open next to me. Unfortunately he didn't stay long, as "yappy" spotted it and was off like a Greyhound.

Mammals Recorded:
Fox
Brown Rat

As Mr Fox would say I smell a.............

.............Rat. I'm sure this Fox was the reason Ted went scatty earlier. As for the Rat, its having a good munch on my friend's bird feeder in her Wakeham Wildlife Site.


Birds Recorded
:
Herring Gull
Wood Pigeon
Skylark
House Martin
Swallow
Meadow Pipit
Pied Wagtail
Grey Wagtail
Dunnock
Robin
1 Common Redstart
5 Blackbird
1 Song Thrush
4 Blackcap
6 Chiffchaff
Long-tailed Tit
Great Tit
Blue Tit
Wren
Magpie
Carrion Crow
Jackdaw
Starling
House Sparrow
Chaffinch
Linnet
2 Siskin
Goldfinch

One of the 4 Blackcaps I came across along the Old Quarry Lane. This is a male with a "black" cap, the female has a "brown" cap.

One of several Chiffchaffs along the lane.

And another one.


Butterflies Recorded
:
Large White
Speckled Wood
Red Admiral

A Speckled Wood

And a rather battered Red Admiral


Bees Recorded
:
Honey Bees (Apis mellifera)
Buff-tailed Bumblebee (Bombus terrestris)
Ivy Bee (Colletes hederae)

I make no apology for all these Ivy Bee photos.

In a few weeks or so they will all be gone until September 2022.

Wasps Recorded:
wasp sp.


Gall Wasps Recorded:
Diplolepis rosae


A Robin's Pincushion on a Dog Rose. It is a gall caused by the larvae of a tiny gall wasp, Diplolepis rosae. More on this Here.

Ichneumon Wasps Recorded:
Ichneumon stramentor again


Hoverflies Recorded:
Common Dronefly (Eristalis tenax)

This has been one incredible year for Common Droneflies. I don't think I've ever seen so many. They are certainly common on Portland, but not so much for its cousin the Tapered Dronefly (Eristalis pertinax) of which I have only seen a mere handful.


Flies, Craneflies, Gnats and Midges Recorded:
Cranefly (Tipula paludosa)
fly sp.


And yet again I have been caught out by an insect flying past me. Yesterday I thought the Common Green Shield Bug was a moth and today I thought this fly was also a moth. Time to book another appointment at Specsavers. Had it been a moth I might have been able to ID it. Not sure if I can with this fly though.


Bugs and Beetles Recorded:
Harlequin Ladybird (Harmonia axyridis) pupae

Close to where I found a Harlequin Ladybird pupae yesterday was this one. However after a good look in the hedgerow, I drew a blank on finding any of the adults.


General Shots:

This large open space is known as the Windmills. Sadly it is quite conceivable that this whole area will be one of the biggest housing estates on the island.


Ted:

I have never seen Ted move so fast. I thought perhaps he had spotted a cat, but was it the Fox we saw later on in the same area.

Later Ted managed to scale the boulders, but soon gave up looking for whatever it was he saw.


Ships Today

This is British Auxiliary Ship "RFA Argus" on its way from Portland Harbour to an unknown destination. More on this vessel Here.

This is the British Sailing Vessel "Aegle" on its way from Dartmouth to Weymouth. More on this vessel Here.