26 Oct 21

Old Quarry Lane, Wakeham Meadow, Easton Railway Cuttings, The Windmills, Wakeham Railway Cuttings, Penns Wood, St Andrew's Church, Church Ope Cove, Church Ope Cove Wood, Penn's Weare, Penn's Copse, Rufus Castle and Mermaid Track

It was a day of waiting for the rain to stop, before I could go on my walk with Ted. In fact we had to wait until quite late in the afternoon, before setting foot outside.

But it was worth the wait with my first Firecrests of the year with two "squabbling" in Pennsylvania Castle Woods. I say squabbling, one was chasing the other through the Ivy and bushes. Perhaps claiming its Winter territory maybe!!!

Also in the woods was a single Chiffchaff and a small flock of Long-tailed Tits.

On the beach the first Rock Pipits have appeared, with 4 feeding on Kelp Flies, in amongst the washed up seaweed. Also with them a juvenile Pied Wagtail.

Out to sea I counted at least 10 Gannets.

The only butterflies and bees seen this afternoon were singles of Red Admiral and White-tailed Bumblebee. There were no Ivy Bees or Honey Bees seen.

In the grounds of the Pirates Graveyard I came across another new moth for my Portland Moth list. This time a Ginger Button (Acleris aspersana)

And it has taken awhile, but today I came across my first German Wasp of the Autumn, on Ivy I have been watching all week, just in case!

The only hoverflies I came across were several which were all the same species, but one I need to ID.


Mammals Recorded:
Grey Squirrel


Birds Recorded:
12 Gannet
Cormorant
Herring Gull
Great Black-backed Gull
Wood Pigeon
4 Rock Pipit
1 Pied Wagtail
Dunnock
Robin
1 Stonechat
Blackbird
1 Chiffchaff
2 Firecrest
Long-tailed Tit
Great Tit
Blue Tit
Wren
Magpie
Carrion Crow
Jackdaw
House Sparrow
Chaffinch
Siskin
Goldfinch

Not all Gannets are black and white. This is a juvenile and will take about 4 years to reach full adult plumage.

Just the male Stonechat seen this afternoon................


...................feeding alongside the old Easton Railway Cuttings.


Butterflies Recorded:
1 Red Admiral


Moths Recorded:
Ginger Button (Acleris aspersana)

A Ginger Button, which I came across in the grounds of St Andrew's Church. And a new addition to my Portland Moth list.


Bees Recorded:
Buff-tailed Bumblebee (Bombus terrestris)


Wasps Recorded:
German Wasp (Vespula germanica)
Common Wasp (Vespula vulgaris)

My first German Wasp this Autumn. The yellow bands on the sides of the thorax on a Common Wasp are always parallel-sided and like this German Wasp sub-triangular. On the NatureSpot website there is a good example of this Here.

And a dreadful photo of a Common Wasp


Hoverflies Recorded:
7+ hoverfly sp

There were several of these........

............hoverflies seen on my walk. I'm assuming they are the same species. But as to which one I'm not sure!


Flies, Craneflies, Gnats and Midges Recorded:
Kelp Fly (Coelopa frigida)


Slugs and Snails Recorded:
Garden Snail (Cornu aspersa)
Black Slug (Arion ater)


Ted:


Ted telling me off for leaving him on top of the hill.


Ships Today:

This is the British Auxiliary Ship "Argus" on its way out of Portland to an undesignated location. More on this vessel Here.


Here is Argus heading south past Church Ope Cove

This is the British Fishing Boat "Portland Isle" on its way from its fishing grounds back to Weymouth Harbour. More on this vessel Here.