19 Oct 21

Stone Pier and Nothe Forte, Weymouth

It was a trip to the groom room for Benji and Ted, and whilst they were there I did a spot of fishing off Stone Pier again for a couple of hours.

With lots more info on how to get the best out of fishing on the pier (having watched the locals do it last Thursday), I was pretty pleased with the results. I ended up with 7 Garfish and 4 Mackerel caught on float-fished Sandeel and frozen "Whitebait". The latter I acquired off Chesil Beach the week before, when thousands were forced up onto the beach by predators chasing them.

One Garfish was a good size, and having never tried one before, I decided to have a go at cooking one. And I wasn't disappointed. Having watched a video on how to prepare and cook a Garfish, I can honestly say the end result was absolutely delicious.

In between watching the float bobbing up and down, I managed to record plenty of birds, especially as many of them were sheltering in Weymouth Bay, away from the South-westerly gale force winds.

Mammals Recorded:
Nothe Forte
Grey Squirrel


Birds Recorded
Nothe Forte
Wood Pigeon
Robin
Blackbird
Long-tailed Tit
Great Tit
Magpie
Carrion Crow
Jackdaw
House Sparrow
Chaffinch
Goldfinch

Stone Pier
10+ Gannet
Cormorant
8 Turnstone
Black-headed Gull
Mediterranean Gull
Herring Gull
Lesser Black-backed Gull
Great Black-backed Gull
2 Common Gull
2 Rock Pipit
1 Pied Wagtail

Here are a few Gannet and Turnstone images.










Yes this one managed to sneak up behind me and grab a piece of Mackerel I was using for bait.


Fish Recorded:
7 Garfish
4 Mackerel

It was a pretty good couple of hours fishing, with this my best Garfish just over 2 feet long. More on Garfish Here.


Butterflies Recorded:
1 Red Admiral


Wasps Recorded:
wasp sp


General Shots:
Weymouth Harbour

Calm waters looking back into Weymouth Harbour. It was certainly a lot different looking the other way.


Cooking Video
How to prepare Garfish. Not my video, but one that I found very useful


My effort

Ships Today:

This is the British Replenishment Vessel "RFA Tidesurge" on its way from Portland Harbour to Ternuezen (Holland). More on this vessel Here.

This is the Bermudian Passenger Ship "Aurora" on its way out of Weymouth Bay into the English Channel. More on this vessel Here.