17 Oct 20

Old Quarry Lane, Wakeham Meadow, Wakeham Railway Cuttings, Mermaid Track, Bumpers Lane, Broadcroft Quarry Lane, Broadcroft Quarry Pool, Broadcroft Quarry Butterfly Reserve, Higher Horse Paddock and Lower Horse Paddock.

What a strange walk, a bit like two really tasty slices of bread, but with a poor filling. First off I had my first Crossbills on Portland, as 10 maybe more birds flew over Wakeham Railway Cuttings and then at the end of my walk I had my first Black Redstart of the Autumn, feeding alongside a pair of Stonechats in the Lower Horse Paddock.

In between the only highlight was a handful of Chiffchaffs. Not that I'm complaining about the Chiffchaffs, but I had thought I might come across another Yellow-browed Warbler, a few Goldcrests and even a Firecrest.

Other highlights were coming across 2 juvenile Common Lizards and a juvenile Slow-worm under a discarded rusty metal sheet next to Bumpers Lane. There's always a good chance find Slow-worms, but coming across 2 mini Common Lizards was a big surprise.

Here are a few images and a video from today:

Really eerie looking skies to the south. You can just about pick out the showers on the horizon.

Whilst on the island the sun was looking very watery, but fortunately the showers remained well out to sea.

Two great highlights today with my first ever Crossbills on Portland, sadly no photos, but the next highlight was this Black Redstart which......

............I must say I wasn't really expecting to see in the Lower Horse paddock.

Mind you I shouldn't have been surprised especially with number of flies about.

Also here were 2 Stonechats

Both of which spent most of their time in the...........

..........allotment here, which runs alongside the paddock. The Black Redstart was last seen on top of the wall at the back, where it dropped down into the gardens there.

I've yet to see a White Wagtail on Portland. This is a juvenile Pied Wagtail, however there was an even light and greyer backed individual but was spooked by walkers and vanished out of sight. One day!!

Oddity of the day a very elongated Carrion Crow!!

I did wonder if there were two birds. Honest

Slow-worms are a bit slower to move than Common Lizards. The two juvenile lizards vanished in seconds as I lifted a scrap bit of metal by Bumpers Lane.

Run Forrest Run. I've never seen Ted move so quick, especially when he realised I was way up the track.

Mammals Recorded
: Grey Squirrel

Birds Recorded: 1 Sparrowhawk, 2 Buzzard, 2 Kestrel, Herring Gull, Meadow Pipit, Pied Wagtail, 1 Grey Wagtail, Dunnock, Robin, 2 Stonechat, 1 Black Redstart, Blackbird, Chiffchaff, Great Tit, Blue Tit, Wren, Magpie, Rook, Carrion Crow, Jackdaw, Starling, House Sparrow, Chaffinch, Linnet, Siskin, Goldfinch, 4 Greenfinch and 10 Crossbill

Reptiles Recorded: 2 Common Lizard and a Slow-worm

Butterflies Recorded: 2 Large White and 5 Red Admiral

Ships Today

This is the Maltese Passenger Ship "Marella Explorer", still off Portland. More on this vessel Here.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
On this day
2019
Today's Sightings Here

2018
Today's Sightings Here.

2017
Today' Sightings Here.