20 Oct 20

King Barrow Quarries Nature Reserve, Vaycroft Quarry, Fancy's Farm, High Angle Battery and New Ground

What an interesting walk and one of those days where I lost sight of a possible Melodious Warbler. It was certainly the case of the one that got away.

Having walked through King Barrow and around Vaycroft Quarry I started to walk up towards Fancy's Farm. As I went around a bramble bush, a bird shot out from it and landed in another bramble Here

I just managed to get a few seconds of it through my bins to see that it was a large warbler, olive in colour, a distinct but somewhat pale eye stripe and a large beak. Sadly it flew off into this area Here, where there were dozens Goldfinches and Chaffinches in the buddleia. Despite my best efforts I never located it again.

Everywhere and not elsewhere as I normally write, there were Stonechats galore. It didn't seem to matter where you looked, one would pop up close-by.

There were a few Chiffchaffs about and I also came across a couple of Goldcrests.

Here are a few images and a video from today:

So many Stonechats on my walk.

And a few which allowed me to get fairly close as well.

This one was a bit camera shy and decided to have a preen, whilst looking the other way.

And the spot (centre frame), where the possible Melodious Warbler decided to hide.

Always a great view of Chesil Beach from New Ground.

And Ted off on his exploits

Daft dog, in fact at one of the island's recycling centres they call him Mop. I wonder why!!

Mammals Recorded: Bunny

Birds Recorded: 2 Peregrine Falcon, Kestrel, Herring Gull, Wood Pigeon, SkylarkMeadow Pipit, Pied Wagtail, Dunnock, Robin, 12+ Stonechat, Blackbird, possible Melodious Warbler, 8 Chiffchaff, 2 Goldcrest, Great Tit, Blue Tit, Wren, Magpie, Carrion Crow, Jackdaw, Chaffinch, Lesser Redpoll, Linnet and Goldfinch

Butterflies Recorded: 1 Large White

Bees RecordedIvy Bee (Colletes hederae)

Hoverflies Recorded: Common Dronefly (Eristalis tenax)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
On this day
2019
Today's Sightings Here

2018
Today's Sightings Here.

2017
Today' Sightings Here.