22 Jun 20

Portland Bill

A late evening visit to The Bill, which was actually my first venture down here since just before lockdown in March. How time flies hmm.

Highlights as the sun came down, were the vast number of moth species on the wing. What an amazing place the Obs is for moths, with quite a few species noted. I managed to photograph a few, plus trap a couple for identification later.

Also here was a very vocal Common Whitethroat, whilst just north of The Races there were a good thousand plus gulls and a few Gannets, feeding on whitebait forced up by predators below.

Here are a few images and a video from this evening:

I have visited the Portland Bird Observatory for many years now, but I don't think I have ever seen such an abundance of Honeysuckle.

And it certainly attracting quite a few moths. I not quite sure of this species but there were quite a few of these Carpet Moth sps!!. flying about. And thank you to Martin Cade who identified this as a Blue-bordered Carpet (Plemyria rubiginata) and also the other two below

In the field next to the Obs Quarry were several of these Crambinae. As to which one this, I will endeavour to find out. However it transpires that this isn't one of the Crambinae but a member of the Pyralidae family and is a Powdered Knot-horn (Delplanqueia dilutella)

I am really disappointed that I can't ID this moth. Having waded through various moth books and online I can't seem to ID this bright orange moth. The only moth I thought it might be was a Yellow Shell (Camptogramma bilineata) and apparently it is. And for whatever reason a very boldly marked one. So one out of three isn't bad and of course the other two are new moths for my Portland Moth List.

A Pyramidal Orchid and apart from this one, there were dozens around the Obs.

Just a small portion of the gulls and Gannet frenzy just north of The Races.

And here we can see the thousands of gulls and a few Gannets feeding on the whitebait.

Ted's seen something, I'm not surprised as there was lots of rustling in the meadow by the Obs Quarry, which got his nose twitching


Weston

A couple of Rosy Starlings have been present for a day or so at Weston. So today I managed to pop over to Westcliff Road to see them late morning. My timing couldn't have been better, as I had really good views of the female/immature as it sat in the Hollyleaved Barberry (Berberis aquifolium).

I only managed a couple of shots and then it flew off into one of the tall trees to my left, where it was very quickly joined by the adult male.

Unfortunately they only stayed in the tree for a few seconds, before disappearing into the back gardens along Grangecroft Road.

This area is also brilliant for House Martins. It's been a long time since I've seen more than a handful in the past few years.

This pale pink Rosy Starling is...........

...........thought to be either an immature or a female. I did see the adult male and his colours are really pink. Unfortunately he and this bird disappeared behind the houses. Hopefully they will be around for a few more days yet.

The berries they have both been seen feeding on, are these Oregon Grapes (Berberis aquifolium).

And believe me, those leaves are very prickly, hence once of its alternative names being Hollyleaved Barberry.

Ships Today

This is the Passenger Ship "Azura" flying the flag of Bermuda. It is on its way out of Weymouth Bay to an unknown destination. More on this vessel Here.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
On this day..........
2019
Today's Sightings Here.

2018
Today's Sightings Here.


2017
Today' Sightings Here.